Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,669 Posts
That's rarely a problem here in the desert, but I have a similar two pin meter. Oddly, this is a much improved version of the original moisture meter for plants that was invented and patented by engineer Harry Wayne, who recently passed away after building a company that made dozens of electronic vision training devices. He was still creating original devices well into his 90s.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I also use a cheap 2 pin meter. Below 12% is the figure I’ve always heard.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've always thought that a moisture meter is a fancy way of reading resistance over a specified distance. I wonder if a multimeter could be used as a substitute?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I would say yes Gary. You could drive two nails in a board and connect the meter to them and get a reading but besides the spacing between them being important, you still need to convert that to a moisture level somehow. If you also had a moisture meter I suppose you could build a graph

·
Registered
888 Posts
Isn't the idea to have the wood at the annual average moisture content of the geographical location where it will live? This will make sure that the wood neither expands or contracts too much during annual changes in the relative humidity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.