Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So adding the the original post found here I finished a cabinet I made to make it a more portable tool in the shop. I have an adjustable height work bench in my shop and when I 1st got the PM701 I decided to find the comfortable height for the tool by adjusting the table.

After this and seeing how much room this mortiser would take I decided to make a dedicated rolling cabinet to house this tool making it easier to maneuver. I also added the 3 drawers to hold the mortiser bits and sharpeners along with the other tools used to align and setup for use. So that left the bottom two shelves and I decided to house the Kreg cabinet jigs and clamps there in one place.

At this point I need to start adding tags to show what is where. I have these library card type frames but haven't used them yet but here's the cabinet with everything but the card holders and 4 corner bolts to hold the sliding table to the cabinet. I'll use a 1-1/2" threaded 5/16" bolt and threaded inserts to secure the base to the cabinet. That will reduce vibration and keep the unit from slipping on the cabinet.

I did use my LS Positioner on my table saw to make my first ever half blind dovetail drawers. There were a few lessons learned in that process such as not using 1/2" plywood. The plywood did work sorta but splintered a bit much and not nearly as clean even with a backer board. That and with half blind it make those pins a bit to shallow for plywood I think. With glue they'll hold I hope but I made one drawer with the plywood and the other two 1/2" solid poplar.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that's some high caliper work you got there Steve...
will you be adding outriggers???

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wow, that's a great upgrade to that unit! Nice to keep everything handy.

Have you thought about adding facility for repetitive mortising so they're located in the same place relative to the board end for example? As in door construction etc.

Cheers,

B

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.