Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm assuming I can sell mine for what I give for it.

I fancy a floor model but it would be a waste at this point...

A GRIZZLY was on Craigslist a while back for $700, but my wants and needs are different these days. It sat there for 2 weeks. Bet I could have got it for $550. But no I walked away...

I'm not a loose tenon kind of guy...that's 2 glue joints instead of one..

I'll always be a dowel guy... the Craftsman dowellet is one of my original tools purchased from a gentleman that had passed away in 1985. The daughter was selling his shop and tools
Composite material Tan Engineering Machine Steel
Finger Wood Joint Wrist Elbow

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
I like dowels. I have a small cherry wood bookcase I made in high school, 10th grade. That would be 1953-4. No nails, no screws, just held together with dowels, and glue, and the dowel holes were drilled with the latest model of drill guide, and a brace and bit. It is in my front room, and is in just as good a shape as when I made it, except the cherry has darkened - which is to be expected. Got a guide of my own some time back, and have had my brace and bit for some time longer than that. Nothing like modern equipment for woodworking.

Reactions: kp91

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't have any original furniture I've made except a blanket chest I made back in the day after watching Norm and decided to build and sell a few. I sold all but one. A walnut chest I eventually gave to my mother. When my mother passed on Thanksgiving, I asked my sister to take it till I could come down and collect it...

I still today enjoy making blanket chests.. I believe it is one of the better learning projects...

·
Registered
22,199 Posts
I'm not doing M&T anymore, so this machine isn't on my list. But if I were doing very many of them, I'd pop for one because of the sheer precision of the results it produces. I remember watching Norm Abrams using his and admiring the darn thing.

·
Premium Member
Frank
378 Posts
I am building a mirror for my daughter and am going to to MT for the joints. I have the Delta jig for cutting the tenons on the table saw and a morticing attachment for my drill press. Hopefully, I will finish the tenons today. Will post pictures when done.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I have the Delta but seldom use it. It obviously isn't for joining boards together. if needed I would go with dowels or biscuits. But I never use these either. Glue is good enough and strong enough and has always served me well. I have repurposed old furniture that has been around 80 years or more and the edges were only glued together. Those boards weren't even put together with modern glue and held up for decades. The only advantage to the other methods is they help align the wood. Since I don't make what I would consider really "fine" furniture. The stuff that would sell for thousands of dollars, I use pocket holes for all of my face frames. I would never consider using mortise and tenon on simple things like cabinets. Come to think of it the last time I used my mortising matching was to set the tangs in a reproduction wooden rake. Hardly fine woodworking.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the Delta but seldom use it. It obviously isn't for joining boards together. if needed I would go with dowels or biscuits. But I never use these either. Glue is good enough and strong enough and has always served me well. I have repurposed old furniture that has been around 80 years or more and the edges were only glued together. Those boards weren't even put together with modern glue and held up for decades. The only advantage to the other methods is they help align the wood. Since I don't make what I would consider really "fine" furniture. The stuff that would sell for thousands of dollars, I use pocket holes for all of my face frames. I would never consider using mortise and tenon on simple things like cabinets. Come to think of it the last time I used my mortising matching was to set the tangs in a reproduction wooden rake. Hardly fine woodworking.
M&T isn't for gluing boards together.

I think your confused on its use..
Wood Property White Black Tan

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Poket holes replace dowels on frames years ago Havent seen a dowe led frame other than mine ssince mid 80's. A shop here in town still does M&T cabinets here in town Wachswoods they make better than average cabinets. I have M&T cabinets myself from Wachswood..

Sorry if I misread your reply...Guess I was confused by what I read..

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I bought a Steel Cuty bench top Mortimer years ago. Used it a few times and decided it wasn't a good fit to my projects. Tried to sell is, even listed on this forum at less than half price. Finally donated it to Habitat for Humanity.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought a Steel Cuty bench top Mortimer years ago. Used it a few times and decided it wasn't a good fit to my projects. Tried to sell is, even listed on this forum at less than half price. Finally donated it to Habitat for Humanity.
Everything depends on what you build and needs are. Not everyone needs a mortiser.

For my work its it's necessary

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I agree, it just was not a fit for mine. I was just surprised that no one was interested in it. I tried to use at as a trade in at a company that specializes in wood working tools both new and used and they had zero interest. They

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's been several years since I've used mine. Last we tried to make a 3/4×3/4 mortise to make a slot for square channel for a chair(foot rest). The bench top wasn't strong enough so we ended up with a floor Model Powermatic. After breaking off the handle we ended up routing it out..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.