Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Recently I was reading an article about the most useful router bits for your shop. Well in a cleaning binge my stack of wood,gun,hunting,home building magazines and etc got recycled by grandma's helpers.
Can you give a fella a hand on what magazine might of had that info ? I would also take personal recommendations.

I have started a new carer semi retired. Did some kindling work when I had time in the past. Now I have allot of time and underfoot,SO it is out to the garage/workshop.
Thanks, Guy

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that thread bit ! My newest router is a 1/2" & 1/4" shank combo the DeWalt 621. I have not really started to purchase any 1/2" bits yet. Really don't want to take it apart to install it to a table. Me and loose parts do not survive on my bench or work top. Even if I put them in old pill bottles or zip lock bags. To many of both. I'm going to combine several list and then narrow it down. I have about 30 1/4" bits. The 1/2" cost a we bit more so I'll have to be selective on my new budget. Thanks again, Guy

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings Guy and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Me and loose parts do not survive on my bench or work top.

get a peice of plywood scrap drill 1/4" and 1/2 " holes in a 2x2" grid put that in a safe place away from falling or bumping objects like in a tool chest drawer of even a old cigar box
or build a wooden box for them
you will save a lot of trouble that way

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guyokis,

I've often pondered the same question, and everytime came to the same conclusion. Don't go out and buy a whole set or a bunch of Bits, buy them as you need them.

When I bought my first Router, I niaively bought an off the shelf combination set of Bits. Two of the Bits are now both worn out and lost, the remainder (around eight Bits) are still sitting new and shiny in the case they came in.

By Buying them as you need them, 1. your never going to have a bit you didn't use at least once, so you got some moneys worth from it and, 2. the initial outlay is less, and the outlays are spaced apart hopefully allowing you to purchase a better quality Bit.

Just my 2c worth, hope it helps.
Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts