Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest daughter wanted a shelf to hold her essential oils. She told her younger sister about one she saw on etsy. My youngest and I tackled the project together so she could give it to her sister for her birthday. We made it from rough cedar fence boards that I planed down to 3/8". The ones we saw online used 3/4" and looked a bit rough hewn. The thinner boards made clamping a challenge. Using pin nails, blue tape and an assortment of clamps eventually brought it all together. I was having a lot of trouble with the top peak when I remembered a trick I read about where you shoot pin nails into a the end of the board under low pressure then cut them off and use them like dowels to hold the position during glue up.The miter sled did a great job on the 30 degree angles. Finished it with shellac and wax.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts
Really nice project and good solutions in the build process.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Nicely done....!

·
Registered
47 Posts
That turned out fantastic! You did a great job with all the angles and joints. The finish looks good too, Cedar fence boards are not the easiest to get smooth and straight like that. :cool:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dimensions: 17 3/4" wide by 13 3/4" tall by 2 1/2" deep. Cedar 3/8" thick boards. Bottom shelfs are 3 1/8" tall to allow the 2 1/2" tall oil bottles to fit with a bit of space. The angles are 60 degrees. The left peak is 9 1/2" tall, centre peak 13 3/4" and the right peak 10" tall. If I did it again I would make the side peak height more varied to show the height difference.

Make a full size drawing first. Really helps with sizing the boards before cutting the angles. I set the angle on the table saw then cut all the boards on a cross cut sled.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Dimensions: 17 3/4" wide by 13 3/4" tall by 2 1/2" deep. Cedar 3/8" thick boards. Bottom shelfs are 3 1/8" tall to allow the 2 1/2" tall oil bottles to fit with a bit of space. The angles are 60 degrees. The left peak is 9 1/2" tall, centre peak 13 3/4" and the right peak 10" tall. If I did it again I would make the side peak height more varied to show the height difference.

Make a full size drawing first. Really helps with sizing the boards before cutting the angles. I set the angle on the table saw then cut all the boards on a cross cut sled.
Many thanks - this will make a great gift to a few folks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.