Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Woodcraft router table top. I am about to build a support system for it but want to be sure it is 1. sturdy enough and 2. that I am able to attach the table top to the frame. Suggestions?

Graydocs

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Graydocs

Just about any type of cabinet will work for a router table. :)
A face frame type,plywood type,you can also pickup one from HomeDepot/Lowes that they sale for bathrooms, they sometimes have nick or damage ones you can get a the right price. :)
Most items you put on the router table will be small, that's to say something you can pickup and set them on the top all other router jobs should be done with a plunge router :).
The max will be 25lbs. or less I'm sure...so as you can see you don't need to build it like a tank, 1 x 2s and some nice plywood would work great for a sub. frame and a pocket screw or two and a bit of glue and you got it done.
You can put doors and drawers on/in it but most of the time they just collect junk, most of the time ,now a spot for some bits would be nice but you can make a nice router box for your bits once you have the table done. :)
In that way if you sale (or make a new one) your table you still have your router bits in a nice box that you can just side out of the cabinet.
And like most that start using the router table you will make a new one that fits your needs better.

Hope this helps a bit..

Bj :)

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Graydocs, here are some things to consider when building your table support. How will you be using it? By this I mean a small stand to sit on a bench or a free standing cabinet or would you want a sit down table? This last option is great for people who fatigue easily or have problems standing, add a swivel chair and you are in business. The next consideration is where will you store the table when not in use? In the average shop this is not a problem but if you are working out of a converted garden shed you dont want to try parking the Bismark in it. The Router Workshop table is a very nice design to work with. It includes the table, a cabinet base and is built from a single sheet of 1/2" plywood. This plan is $4 from oak-park.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.