Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older router table I just bought, the RT101 pictured below. I want to get a T-track and mount it so that I can use featherboards, Just wondering what you guys think.

the fence is cast iron with the hard rubber black padding pieces. Maybe just JB weld it?

A side question would be if I wanted to add dust collection to this do you think I should just bore through the black middle plate and connect a hose, that's what I'm thinking.

thanks for all the help!

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,344 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I would make a set backer boards, perhaps from slick MDF to replace the rubber bumpers. That way you can move/replace them as needed and add a groove for the T tack. Before you bore out that center piece I would check Ryobi distributors etc for a replacement bracket that will accept a DC hose.
just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
If it were me, I'd probably try to fit some sort of snorkel to the bottom of the router so it sucks in clean fresh air. That will blow a lot of sawdust straight up, out of the bit into the above table dust collection port. Some sawdust will drop down underneath the table, but you can that pretty easily. If you make a box to mount that stand on, you can easily contain the small amount of dropping sawdust.

Ttrack. It is already there on that table for holding featherboards. Unless you change the fence, there is already a way to move the fence fairly precisely. If you build your own fence, you might be able to tap into the slots already on the table. A longer fence is very desirable, as is a nice tall fance for working the ends of longer pieces.

Dust collection. The tube that's shown in the picture will do an OK job if it's set close to the surface of your workpiece. If you build your own fence, then a port behind the fence, where the split fence opening, or the opening for the bit on a tall fence, will probably extract sawdust a little better. The bottom, front edge of any fence should be chamfered a bit to allow for dust collection. Sawdust can quickly build up under the board, raising it a bit unless you sweep it clear frequently.

If you build your own fence, you can use the pictured attachment to connect your dust collection system. I also dropped in a picture of a shop built router fence.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't find any information about a router snorkle, I think that it is far beyond anything I could do. I am trying to use my current fence not build one as I have never done that before.

Removing the rubber and using MDF that is taller and cut my t-track in that, that is a great idea! thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have an older router table I just bought, the RT101 pictured below. I want to get a T-track and mount it so that I can use featherboards, Just wondering what you guys think.

the fence is cast iron with the hard rubber black padding pieces. Maybe just JB weld it?

A side question would be if I wanted to add dust collection to this do you think I should just bore through the black middle plate and connect a hose, that's what I'm thinking.

thanks for all the help!
Where's the router? The table is For use only with the Ryobi R161 or R162 router (includes R1801M1 motor with R181FB1 base). Be careful of the throat plates as they have been known to come loose.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
A snorkle is pretty easy, it is just a tube taped to the air intake (top when hand held, bottom in the table) and leading out to a place where it can pull in clean air. It causes an up flow through the router, reducing the amount of sawdust that goes into the router and helping to expel sawdust up and into your dust collection port. It doesn't have to be fancy. Here's a pdf on the topic.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where's the router? The table is For use only with the Ryobi R161 or R162 router (includes R1801M1 motor with R181FB1 base). Be careful of the throat plates as they have been known to come loose.
yes that is the router that I have. I do not have the throat plate, I did end up buying one on amazon that is the same size

I just cut a hole for my 1.25" adapter and stuck that in, looks like it will work I guess?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
are there any images of a snorkle on an actual router. I think I get it but I think one image would explain it perfectly.

I see my air intake it is on the opposite end of the router bit. My router the air intake is the whole size of the router, there are slits in the top. I'm just not seeing how me taping a hose there would do anything.

with my router upside down in the table, isn't all that air below the router perfectly clean air? Also while holding the router wouldn't all the air on the opposite end of the bit be clean air also?

I can see how this would make sense with a router enclosure in a table but I don't have that.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If you are talking about feather boards on the fence why not get magnetic ones? They work great and go on and off in about one second.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts