Router Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm doing a project of converting an old school cafeteria into a theater. Have the lighting up and the dimmers are working, the AV stuff is in place and working so our speakers can do powerpoints galore. Projectors are all working and the houselights are on a remote controlled dimmer.

Next is enlarging the platform so we can stage plays on it. Simple construction with 4x8 MDF set on 4x4s. Problem is that the darn things are are too heavy for me to horse into place. So I made a sheet good mover in the pix. It holds the piece(s) almost vertical and the bar across the bottom is movable so the sheets won'd slip out easily. My old Dakota has 2x4s spanning the truck bed so the HD guys can load them up for me, and then by placing the cart up next to the truck I can pull the sheet off, and guide it down onto the cart. Roll the sheet in, tilt it over and on top of the 4x4 supports. Problem solved. My plan includes 6 of these sheets for a 16 x 20 "stage." The cart is built on a HF furniture dolly--cheap wheels.

After that's done, I'll make some theatrical flats on each side of the stage to make a backstage area. They'll fold up out of the way for non theatrical events. I think I'll have to add two more lighting units, but there is ample power for them. My forced retirement was awful until I took on this project. We type A's just have to be doing something. I don't attend the church, but the pastors are getting enthusiastic about the project as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
They are lucky to have you to work for them Tom, 4x8s on 4x4s is darn heavy so I hope you have plenty of strong helpers. James jj777746.

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MDF for a floor? I wouldn't, even considering the 4 X 4 support.

Charley
Yup, but I have to match what's there already and the MDF has held up OK. Will be covering it with carpet since it also serves for music events. I'll probably increase the number of 4x4s under each sheet to beef it up a bit. My biggest concern will be supporting the edges as more and more people step on and off the platform.

The place can be set up theater style, or with round tables that seat 8. Our group has grown since we moved and even faster since the project started.

Surprisingly, the place looks pretty much the same as before the project started, except for the lights. Didn't want to change anything about how the Church uses it. But I will have to hold some training so other groups learn to use the new stuff.

Have two high school drama teachers excited about performing for us, and a couple of our best local theater groups excited about coming to preview and promote their shows. One just did "Little Shop of Horrors", which is a great little musical, but many seniors are not familiar with the play. I think we can form a spin off bunch that go see shows together. The side effect of this is the senior group, Seniors With Inquiring Minds (SWIM) is growing every week. You can find it on Facebook.

I don't think the stage will work for dance groups, but we'll see. It's pretty small for dancers. But choirs and musical groups will like the place, which is called The Venue. Going to have a big, visible sign placed on the front of the building so people can find it more easily. I'm really enjoying this. But I do need someone to help with some heavy lifting, not good for aging backs.

I plan to train some Church volunteers on how to promote events at The Venue using simple public relations methods. Which will tap what I've trained doctors to do for 36 years and give some empty nest moms a way to make a living if they wish. Once a business coach, always a business coach, I guess. :grin:

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
If the floor is going to be covered with carpet anyway, than why not use plywood?
I'm with Charley.
Also re the 4x4s, hopefully they're on a minimum of 16"ctrs.?
The 4" width isn't really important, it's the depth of the joist that matters; you might be better off with 2x4s on 12'' ctrs.

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 4" width isn't really important, it's the depth of the joist that matters; you might be better off with 2x4s on 12'' ctrs.
Matching the height of the existing sections is the key, and I think 2x4s on 12 inch centers would cost about the same and be stronger. I guess if there's any difference in height, I could shim it, or trim it. We'll see.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Tom, when ya gonna learn? Lift heavy stuff? That's what the football team is for. YOU supervise, and don't lift anything heavier than your coffee.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
I remember that old black and white movie. a talking plant eating people. jack nicholson going to the dentist. it was so bad it was good
Live, at RouterForums, courtesy of Tim. Little Shop Of Horrors, original version.

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rick Moranis, best dweeb actor in the biz, played the lead in the later, color version. Funny and light hearted. The play ended differently than the movie. In the play Seymour and Platinum blonde Audrey sacrifice themselves by throwing themselves into the plant's giant maw. And then the promoter types show up to clone the plant and sell them to everyone. Just what everyone wants, a canibalistic plant for Christmas.

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am sorry to say, no, pissed off actually, that the Church changed pastors and the new one tore everything out and decided to kill the project. Bastard. They promised to pay a $1000 of what I put in it already. But they did use some of the platforms I made. Yes, it was large enough to hold about 150 people, about half that for dinner theater style seating with tables. They rebuilt the kitchen to modern standards, but ripped out all the wiring, lighting and audio gear I'd set up. Our senior group isn't going to be allowed in there either.

I'd completed a quarter round proscenium arch and was about to build some flats to create a backstage setup. All my AV cables, the screen and even the small control booth I'd set up all got ripped out. Someone gave them a huge donation and the pastor decided to re do that and the gym area so they could hold services, funerals and other events in there. Bastards.

Definitely pissed me off since they never bothered to notify me of the changes. I just walked in one day to deliver the two proscenium pieces, and the tear down was done. Bastards.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am sorry to say, no, pissed off actually, that the Church changed pastors and the new one tore everything out and decided to kill the project. Bastard. They promised to pay a $1000 of what I put in it already. But they did use some of the platforms I made. Yes, it was large enough to hold about 150 people, about half that for dinner theater style seating with tables. They rebuilt the kitchen to modern standards, but ripped out all the wiring, lighting and audio gear I'd set up. Our senior group isn't going to be allowed in there either.

I'd completed a quarter round proscenium arch and was about to build some flats to create a backstage setup. All my AV cables, the screen and even the small control booth I'd set up all got ripped out. Someone gave them a huge donation and the pastor decided to re do that and the gym area so they could hold services, funerals and other events in there. Bastards.

Definitely pissed me off since they never bothered to notify me of the changes. I just walked in one day to deliver the two proscenium pieces, and the tear down was done. Bastards.
Damn it !! I remember how into the project you were DRT, I can only imagine the feeling running thorough you as you got that first glimpse into that space. Truly feeling yout hurt and betrayal. I really am getting tried of always seeing or hearing about the confrontational crap happening in this country and the world lately. People need to get their heads screwed on straight and quit believing in the alternate reality that was our recent past. I better stop there.
Again Tom sending you good thoughts and as my Dad used to say...." F... them all and save 6 for pall bearers" !!

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damn it !! I remember how into the project you were DRT, I can only imagine the feeling running thorough you as you got that first glimpse into that space. Truly feeling you hurt and betrayal. I really am getting tried of always seeing or hearing about the confrontational crap happening in this country and the world lately. People need to get their heads screwed on straight and quit believing in the alternate reality that was our recent past. I better stop there.
Again Tom sending you good thoughts and ass my Dad used to say...." F... them all and save 6 for pall bearers" !!
It took me a few months to get over it. I was about to have 2 of the six community theater and some musical groups come over to check the facility out. Glad I hadn't done that yet, that would have been a real embarrassment. Don't have the energy to do that again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.