Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first four pics show where the shop was going to be in the downstairs garage. (I have a walk out basement.) the total square footage was to be about 225sq ft tops.

Well after some talking Honey and I decided that while some of the rest of the basement we did not need a second kitchen in there yet and the rec room part of basement didn't need to be finished as such yet either so we will keep the bath area and the entertainment area for now and the rest I will turn into a shop. the area will be about 450sqft or double the size plus will have a couple windows and a double French Door.

The remaining photos Show where the shop is, but is not finished by a long shot. This week I want to get the electrical started so I don't have so many extension cords being used. Once that is done we can start putting up sheet rock. For now I will only do about half the space in Sheetrock son now ceiling for a while either. The 12' assembly in my garage upstairs will go into the bump-out at the windows. I still need to figure out what to do with the carpet, it was some remnants we got for nothing and is loose so it can be moved. I will have carpet by the work bench, my feet do not do well on the concrete. The lawn mowers will go into the up and down garages where I will remove the assemblies. In the down garage there is an assembly on the one side that will also be moved into the new shop. I will put a sink in some time, the sewer is already in the ground for that at the small window is. Someday may be a kitchen but then maybe not. My shop will probably become that "thing" that once it settles in you just can't get rid of it.

The 8th photo shows the kitchen window and the French doors. The 7th photo looks toward the bath, the shop will stop at the workmate in the back ground. The 6th looks toward the area that will have at least one work bench. I may move the miter saw and put an assembly there or it will go, as I said, under the kitchen window. I do have a metal sink base cabinet that would work real well there. I am hoping to arrange things so I can add an Island work bench, one that you can get all the way around.

Time table: The tools are there so that settles that, the rest is gravy!! In the next few weeks I would like to get the electrical and sheet rock then move out of the upstairs garage completely and rearrange it for when I must do car repairers etc.

So that is where is for now as things come together I will post some more shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Great score Jerry! Love the high ceilings you will have. I'm glad you are getting some extra room to use. Aren't great wives wonderful?

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Ha! You rascal, you already know how jealous I am of twice the space that I have for a shop and now you rub it in with pictures. Can't wait to get over there and help you arrange it for the first time and then sit back and watch you rearrange it dozens more times over the years like I have :eek::D:p:p:p

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Jerry

very nice
It's going to be a nice WARM shop :) I guess building a boat is out for now :) unless you take the window out and replace it with some French doors..

=========

The first four pics show where the shop was going to be in the downstairs garage. (I have a walk out basement.) the total square footage was to be about 225sq ft tops.

Well after some talking Honey and I decided that while some of the rest of the basement we did not need a second kitchen in there yet and the rec room part of basement didn't need to be finished as such yet either so we will keep the bath area and the entertainment area for now and the rest I will turn into a shop. the area will be about 450sqft or double the size plus will have a couple windows and a double French Door.

The remaining photos Show where the shop is, but is not finished by a long shot. This week I want to get the electrical started so I don't have so many extension cords being used. Once that is done we can start putting up sheet rock. For now I will only do about half the space in Sheetrock son now ceiling for a while either. The 12' assembly in my garage upstairs will go into the bump-out at the windows. I still need to figure out what to do with the carpet, it was some remnants we got for nothing and is loose so it can be moved. I will have carpet by the work bench, my feet do not do well on the concrete. The lawn mowers will go into the up and down garages where I will remove the assemblies. In the down garage there is an assembly on the one side that will also be moved into the new shop. I will put a sink in some time, the sewer is already in the ground for that at the small window is. Someday may be a kitchen but then maybe not. My shop will probably become that "thing" that once it settles in you just can't get rid of it.

The 8th photo shows the kitchen window and the French doors. The 7th photo looks toward the bath, the shop will stop at the workmate in the back ground. The 6th looks toward the area that will have at least one work bench. I may move the miter saw and put an assembly there or it will go, as I said, under the kitchen window. I do have a metal sink base cabinet that would work real well there. I am hoping to arrange things so I can add an Island work bench, one that you can get all the way around.

Time table: The tools are there so that settles that, the rest is gravy!! In the next few weeks I would like to get the electrical and sheet rock then move out of the upstairs garage completely and rearrange it for when I must do car repairers etc.

So that is where is for now as things come together I will post some more shots.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Nice warm shop??? It has to be Bj. You know how cold it gets in GA. in the winter time. Burrrrrr.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jerry

very nice
It's going to be a nice WARM shop :) I guess building a boat is out for now :) unless you take the window out and replace it with some French doors..

=========
It already has French doors, that is one of the nice things about it, and it will be warm in the winter and cool in the summer. :) :) :cool:

Dr Z you are right, it does not get cold in Georgia. I lived in Gillette. Wyoming for a number of years and got up into North Dakota several time working in the oil fields as a field engineer. I remember one Dec 24th in Minot -25 plus the wind chill and compared to Canada that would be warm. There were times in Gillette that it got pretty cold, cold enouth to freeze my water to my house 8' under the road :eek:. They used a welding truck to thaw the lines by hooking the leads to each end and running current through the copper lines--it worked.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
There are going to be a lot of jealous members Jerry, that's going to be one fabulous, well equipped workshop.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Jerry,

your gonna love that, it will make a super shop!

one suggestion (not meant crtically my friend lol) you mentioned using the carpet in front of the workbench to cushion feet and legs, i had that and replaced the carpet with the foam rubber cushions(4 that are put together 6 bucks at harbor freight) and love them.!! now i can sweep sawdust dirt and mud away from them so easy and they are softer than carpet. with the carpet you never sould get all the dirt and sawdust out. just my 2 cents lol.

your new shop area looks great, i am jealous of all the space!

ps, with the carpet gone concrete floor is easier cleaned and moving machinery around is easier.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
friday, i had the cable tv people run an outlet to my shop, then i found out it had to be buried. i couldnt wait around for them and make sure they didnt dig up my telephone and electrical, so yesterday after my grandson and i stayed in the shop all morning i started digging the ditch. the ground was soft after all the rain weve had this year and in an hour i was through, bout 70 feet of ditch. i was so p[roud of myself and how easy it was. to day i woke up and even the few strands of hair on top of my head were sore, hahahahaa

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I do not get that. The cable company uses a slitting machine that puts the cable in with no trench. It pushes the cable into the ground about 12" where no other wires are. The phone and electrical are deeper, around 30" to 44" around here.

I had mine done and just lived with the wire running across the grass until they came back the following week. It took the guy about 15 minutes to run a 300 foot cable underground.

Why do all that digging yourself? Dig here yourself and hit something you get fined 10,000.00.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jerry,

your gonna love that, it will make a super shop!

one suggestion (not meant crtically my friend lol) you mentioned using the carpet in front of the workbench to cushion feet and legs, i had that and replaced the carpet with the foam rubber cushions(4 that are put together 6 bucks at harbor freight) and love them.!! now i can sweep sawdust dirt and mud away from them so easy and they are softer than carpet. with the carpet you never sould get all the dirt and sawdust out. just my 2 cents lol.

your new shop area looks great, i am jealous of all the space!

ps, with the carpet gone concrete floor is easier cleaned and moving machinery around is easier.
I am sure that will be the way to go as soon as possible, like after a drill press, 14" band saw, a sharpening station for tools a dust abatement system.

Well maybe the pads will have to be moved up some. If my wife saw this post, well as you all know she is gracious with this stuff, but that would be to much I am sure. I shall just go slow with this stuff.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Jerry

The only draw back about having your shop in the basement is that it's power off /light out at 6:00 PM and not b/4 9:00 AM,, I can almost hear the BOSS now ,say, turn that crap off I can't hear the TV.. ;) LOL LOL

======

I am sure that will be the way to go as soon as possible, like after a drill press, 14" band saw, a sharpening station for tools a dust abatement system.

Well maybe the pads will have to be moved up some. If my wife saw this post, well as you all know she is gracious with this stuff, but that would be to much I am sure. I shall just go slow with this stuff.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
aaahh bobj, i hadnt thought of that. i can hear my wife now if i fired up a saw or router about 6 am. id be in major trouble. but not all wives are exactly alike.
im sure Jerry's wife may be more understanding. good reason to use lots of insulation, as soundproofing making it warmer as a side result!:)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Tell her to do what my wife does, ear plugs and I am not kidding. She puts them in when she goes to bed because I am ripping through 12" B-Cherry at 2:00 am and I do not care if all 6 kids wake up. Being born into it they sleep right through, she doesn't so ear plugs at bed time and thats me working in the garage(bedrooms above the garage). :)

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
ah, but Bj..... you have not seen his wife's theater system. She can drown out any.... and I do mean any tool he has :D:p

·
Official Greeter
18,736 Posts
Jerry,

You do not know how jealous I am.....:D

How many garages and basements do you have...LOL

I know that you will end up with a great workshop.....

James

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
HI Jerry

The only draw back about having your shop in the basement is that it's power off /light out at 6:00 PM and not b/4 9:00 AM,, I can almost hear the BOSS now ,say, turn that crap off I can't hear the TV.. ;) LOL LOL

======
That is the beauty of our house, When we built it in 03, we were able to insulate all interior walls plus the contractor insulated the basement ceiling. Once I put in a dropped ceiling ,loosing only a couple of inches, with sound dampening tiles it will be quiet up in the master. As a matter of face that may be why she agreed to go from the garage to the other side, our bedroom is directly above the down garage.

I must admit I was surprised when she agreed so quickly to move the shop to that part of the basement. We were going to make the basement like a mother-in-law suite. But both of our parents have passed so we don't need a suite. As a matter of fact when we were talking about is today, she mentioned that she really didn't,t need a second kitchen to keep up.

I realize that this really is a dream come true, it may, will, take years to get it where I would like it but I'm not going anywhere anyway so I can take my time and enjoy the journey. I will of course show progress as it is made, and I am very fortunate to have fellow woodworkers as close as Bob and Joe and anouther Bob down in Douglasville to share it with locally.

One thing I forgot to mention is that all wiring will be 12/2 with 20amp breakers all GFCI protected. This is more than is required, but doing this I can use any outlet to run any tool I have. I have a 200amp service that has 5 double breaker spots so with running doubles I can break the rooms into 10 separate circuits. I plan to do every other outlet on a different circuit so if I were to run two machines at once it would not trip a breaker from the load. As a matter of fact in the area I will be using there will be five 20amp circuities. This will cost a little extra but will be worth it in the long run. The ceiling fixtures will all run off two 15amp services.

I appreciate all of your comments and if your ever in the Atlanta area, I am sure that the four of us here in the area would welcome a visit.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Jerry,good idea to run every other outlet on different circuit. Thats how I set mine up. Lights are on two 15 A circuits. Just incase one set of lights go out, I'm not in the dark.
Aren't you going to run a 220V outlet any where? I put two in on opposite sides of the shop. I have a machine that can run on 110 or 220V, but you never know when you might need one.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts