Router Forums banner

141 - 160 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Wow James thanks, but when I see what is sometimes produced out of some of the small and sometimes less equipped shops I am embarrassed, I have been blessed with the space in the basement and with a wife will to, within reason, support this hobby. I will say yesterdays fix on the front door has helped with the “willing wife part of it”. We are saving about 650.00 by not replacing the front door and me fixing it.

I have been seriously into woodworking for just over a year now and although I have done stuff around the house it is nothing like what I would like to do now. As for other guys and their shops, "It ain't over till the end and the end ain't here yet” so just hang in. There are people who do so much with their hands only, Amish for one, which are so talented that I am in awe. You just may be one of those talented folks. You know they don’t need room just give them some wood and watch out!

Jerrry,

When I see what some of you guys have, I cry.. :mad: ..LOL

You will have a great shop when you get it finished...

James.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The workshop is really taking shape. It looks like you are thoroughly enjoying yourself and that is good. I can relate to your comment about the Amish...I grew up near Amish country in PA. I am embarrassed by what those folk can do with just basic hand tools, simply amazing. But it does help keep perspective. I don't have nearly the equipment most folks on this forum have, but I enjoy what I have been blessed to own and try to make good use of it. A very wise man once said that he had "learned to be content in all things." I think that is the true pathway to happiness. Anywho, just wanted to comment that I am happy for you...I am blessed with a supportive wife as well :)

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 · (Edited)
The workshop is really taking shape. It looks like you are thoroughly enjoying yourself and that is good. I can relate to your comment about the Amish...I grew up near Amish country in PA. I am embarrassed by what those folk can do with just basic hand tools, simply amazing. But it does help keep perspective. I don't have nearly the equipment most folks on this forum have, but I enjoy what I have been blessed to own and try to make good use of it. A very wise man once said that he had "learned to be content in all things." I think that is the true pathway to happiness. Anywho, just wanted to comment that I am happy for you...I am blessed with a supportive wife as well :)
I believe that was the apostle Paul in numerous places, it is good to keep that in mind.

Today it rained so I couldn't work on the door, but will pick that up next nice day.

Went down to work on the aprons for the counters and my air hose was again all over the place and in the way. Well I have been meaning to do something with that and I am well on the way to doing so. I got together hose rack and some "scrape wood" and got busy. I will mount it today and see if this will help get the thing out of my way at day’s end. The compressor is in the adjacent garage and some would suggest a pull down hose and I would agree except for the cost of 50.00 (HF) up to 350.00 at Northern Tool. Right now the need is more dust control so the reel up will have to wait.

The high chair is one from church, need to fix a leg, someone broke it. I use pocket screws and glue to fix these, this is the second one I have fixed.

Next I decided to join the two tops in the large island. Found dad plate joiner, not real new, when have you seen Made in the USA lately? I put the biskett in after I wetted them, no glue might need to take it apart some day. The two tops are held together by cleats underneath. Once I put the apron on it will be inclined not to come apart!! When I went upstairs, it was a mess but I like to keep things tidy so I went back down and get the area ready for today labors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
hi Jerry,

ive had several messages sent to me ablout the pictorial asking what it was. other than a high chair on its side, can you describe the other pictures relavence?? it shows lots of tools and extension cords, but very little of what you did. those are great pictures of saws and extension cords, but confuse people why they were posted???? maybe its because it was posted at 4 am your time, that it was so confusing? im not sure?

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 · (Edited)
hi Jerry,

ive had several messages sent to me ablout the pictorial asking what it was. other than a high chair on its side, can you describe the other pictures relavence?? it shows lots of tools and extension cords, but very little of what you did. those are great pictures of saws and extension cords, but confuse people why they were posted???? maybe its because it was posted at 4 am your time, that it was so confusing? im not sure?
The only thing I can think is ask them to direct thier questions to me, I have never been short with anyone for any reason on the forum--I am kinda lost in this whole thing. Go figure.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 · (Edited)
Looks great Jerry nice job on the counter-top.

These pics today just show getting the top finished and ready to use. I still want to put facing on the wood bins so it will all look like cabinets without doors. There will be detail that will be done to do two things, one get experience and make the shop look nice.

The first one is getting the apron pieces to fit properly, the next #2 is just finishing up the apron and getting ready to put the finish on the boards, and using the sander with #80 grit to clean the tops and it did good. The last three are of the finished product with the very last showing the effect as you first walk in.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
no.1 you didnt explain why you put the shot out the door of the garden hoses???
no.2 what were you doing with the saw and extension cords?
picture 3 and 4 not sure what it is???
picture no. 8, what are you trying to show??????
picture no. 11, what were you showing , maybe youre trying to build something?
picture no. 12, is this a gardenhose hanger??
it just seems confusing and doesnt make your thoughts clear. most pictures tell a story.

i was just trying to say, we cant figure out what you mean. the computer is sometimes hard to see what someone means. maybe you should try to explain the pics and we could understand more.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
All I can say is I must be one of those "light traveling faster than sound” guys we all have our moments in the sun and that must have been one of mine. I know I didn't number them the way you just did but I thought I kind of explained things in some order? Like you said it was 4 AM and I am so easily confused especially in the morning!! Will do better next time, thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Jerry, no need to apologise.

we want to know what youre doing. i know youre finishing the tops and
doing somethng with the air hoses. just help a simpleminded person understand what youre showing us.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi Jerry,

Nice job on the counter top. That looks good enough to eat off of! :)

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Jerry I can relate to the 4am and tired. We had a arsonist running around last night and lit two fires ( one in a ravine and the other one he lit a garbage can on fire and it spread to the shed and tree) we got the call at 3 am and we got back at 5:30 and I had a look and was wondering what I was looking at too lol and I just wrote it off as tired and confused so once again buddy don;t sweat the small stuff.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi Dan,

Was that your shed?! I hope the damage was not severe! I just don't understand what motivates some people to be so destructive, sheesh! Stay well.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Hi Dan,

Was that your shed?! I hope the damage was not severe! I just don't understand what motivates some people to be so destructive, sheesh! Stay well.
Nope I was working that night and responded to the fire on Pump 13.I only charged the hoseline with water and 0.5% foam and hooked into a hydrant to re-supply myself, The guys on the other end of the line did all the work. :yes2:

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Only a few things done in the shop, been working on other things using the shop!! I mean how fun is that!! I closed up the space between the shop and the room next door. It is a temporary change, so I did not tape or float the sheetrock. Main reason I did this is sound deading between the two rooms. It accomplished that nicely.

Today I will paint that area, as well as other touch up in the shop and up stairs.

The second pic is an inlay, never did one for real, I am thinking of doing some in the shop for practice rather than wait and "try" it on some project and ruin an otherwise good project. I do intend to Google "inlays" but some here might have some good advice or places to go (other than that obvious place) to get some ideas.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Only a few things done in the shop, been working on other things using the shop!! I mean how fun is that!! I closed up the space between the shop and the room next door. It is a temporary change, so I did not tape or float the sheetrock. Main reason I did this is sound deading between the two rooms. It accomplished that nicely.

Today I will paint that area, as well as other touch up in the shop and up stairs.

The second pic is an inlay, never did one for real, I am thinking of doing some in the shop for practice rather than wait and "try" it on some project and ruin an otherwise good project. I do intend to Google "inlays" but some here might have some good advice or places to go (other than that obvious place) to get some ideas.

Thanks in advance!!
For inlays for lettering try watching this video:

Letter Inlay Technique

For $34.95 a year you can watch all the videos they have on the web site. Not pushing you only letting you know. FOr the record I do not subscribe yet but I am thinking of it when I get into fancier things. It is nice to watch someone do something and learn before attempting it in the school of "Hardknocks"

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Same here, I think anything fancy would just confuse this muddled mind of mine. Three days till we leave for Houston, 10 day till the big "I DO". You have time before all this new marriage stuff comes in your family, but when it comes it is just plain neat. It is hard to discribe, but when your time comes you will have a great time and you'll remember this conversation.

For inlays for lettering try watching this video:

Letter Inlay Technique

For $34.95 a year you can watch all the videos they have on the web site. Not pushing you only letting you know. FOr the record I do not subscribe yet but I am thinking of it when I get into fancier things. It is nice to watch someone do something and learn before attempting it in the school of "Hardknocks"

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
No pics this time, hard to take meaningful Pics of electrical wire run and tied in; let's just say whereas all the lighting was on one circuit with one on/off switch. Let's just say that it is very different now. The final big changes will be adding the dust collection to complement the Jet 1000B that I am very satisfied with, and the drop ceiling. Both are going to have to wait as some unexpected expenses have come up that require the funds. Seems it happens that way all too often but as someone on this forum has said "life just is" and I can live with that. I am thrilled to have the space and blessings that I have.

I believe that one more picture post will bring this finally to a point of "substantial completion" as we would say in the PM days. I will try to get that done in the next couple of days.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Keep plugging away at it my friend all good things will come to those that are patient enough to realize "Rome was no built in a day"

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Keep plugging away at it my friend all good things will come to those that are patient enough to realize "Rome was no built in a day"
That is only because you weren’t Forman on the job!! Dan you are fast no two ways about it. I shall take pictures in the next day or so and post them. Then start a new thread when I make up grades. Be sure to read the thread by Derek posted some time over night it is great. It is in the Lobby.

141 - 160 of 183 Posts