Router Forums banner

161 - 180 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Some have said my shop is never a mess so just to prove it is sometimes here are some pics that I took tonight as I was shutting down for the evening.

I shall clean up the mess and make a final installment on this thread tomorrow or Friday. There really isn't an explanation of the pics; I’ll explain the pics when I make the final post.

I will say getting the last bit done has been a bear. I remember when I did PM, getting the last 2% on a big project just took forever it seemed. :help:.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
LOL what a clean shop Jerry. If that is messy I would hate to know what mine would be called.

Looks good I can't wait to get mine done and make it look like yours some day.

What are you putting on the ceiling? Drywall or suspended ceiling tile?

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
LOL what a clean shop Jerry. If that is messy I would hate to know what mine would be called.

Looks good I can't wait to get mine done and make it look like yours some day.

What are you putting on the ceiling? Drywall or suspended ceiling tile?
It will be suspended sometime in the future; just don't have money for that at this time. I need to finish running the plastic to help control dust.

I also have plumbing to run to finish the bath and need to set the sewer pump. My basement is lower than the sewer so it will have to be pumped out. All that will be 400.00-600.00 dollars. That is part of the reason no ceiling the other being I would get a drill press and band saw before the ceiling, I can live with it the way it is if you know what I mean!!

Actually the next major purchase will be dust collection. The air filtration of the Jet 1000B is all I want it to be I just get tired of moving the two shop-vacs around.

Tomorrow will be a pick up, paint up, clean up day for me. I do have one surprise coming up, a nonsense thing I decided to do to make it uniquely mine.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Geez Jerry things have really shaped up there. I like that you have so many different projects on the go at once, a lot like me. It feels like you aren't getting things accomplished but in fact you are seriously multitasking. You have really come a long way in a short time. AWESOME!

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Wow, Jerry... your shop is looking *awesome*! I'm with you on your priorities.. the band saw comes first. How does that Ridgid sander work for you? I've been looking at single-function OSS's for a while now but that looks even better since I'm not going into production work.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
It's great; I have seen many of them in pics from other shops. The dust collection is adequate but could be some better. I use a shop vac for now till I get a full blown dust collection system. So far I have the Jet 1000B air filter and am very happy with it; every shop should have one because it eliminates the dust in the air, well for me it does.

Wow, Jerry... your shop is looking *awesome*! I'm with you on your priorities.. the band saw comes first. How does that Ridgid sander work for you? I've been looking at single-function OSS's for a while now but that looks even better since I'm not going into production work.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 · (Edited)
Substantially complete

As if one's shop would ever be truly complete I still am declaring this one complete as related to this thread. It has been nearly 6 months since I started the move and there were many interruptions to be sure, but for now we are done!!! The pics in general go from walking into the shop and then just walking around in the shop.

There are still a few things to do, but for now it can be used, and will be used.

I am sure there could be some questions so I will address those when asked;

The story with the flags is the larger one was for Dad's funeral during WW II dad served as a merchant marine. The small one was flown in Iraq and was presented to our church by one of the church members that served in Iraq.

What in the world is with those clamps??!! Well I just didn't know what else to do with them, they arrived with 4 regular clamps and I had to accept them in order to get the 4 regular clamps. So now they are wall directions, I mean what else could they be??

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Jerry,

A job most well done! I envy the space and covenience of your shop and know how hard you have worked putting it together. It has been enjoyable watching the transformation of your plan come to life in this thread. I for one appreciate you taking the time to post the progress pictorial during this time.

I must smile as I see those monster pipe clamps and how you made decorative use of them. They look much better in your shop than they ever did in mine. :yes4::yes4::yes4:

I can't wait to get an opening to come visit and see it first hand. Maybe things will slow down the next couple of days and I can get over there.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Jerry you have done an amazing job on the shop. You have laid it out very well and have ample rom in which to work. You will certainly enjoy your time working in it.

As time progresses I amsure you will want to twek things here and there to suit your liking. You also have to room grow if you choose and thats a good thing.

Well now you better start pumping some cabinets out.

Nice router table by the way did you make it? What router is in there? A freud?

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Nice router table by the way did you make it? What router is in there? A freud?
The routers a Ridgid, the cabinets and top I had so I just married them together cut out for the router put the edging on it and for now it is fine. I will probably redo the top sometime in the future. The current one is practical board I will redo using MDF.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
A very nice looking shop Jerry, BUT you have way to much room. It looks like you could get lost in there. Fine job!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
A very nice looking shop Jerry, BUT you have way to much room. It looks like you could get lost in there. Fine job!!!!!!
Hide would be more like it!! :haha: :haha:

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
You did a top-notch job, Jerry.. Your shop will obviously be a pleasure to work in.. and like many have said, so much space! :)

It looks like now's the time to exercise that 1000B in catching some dust from projects made *in* that new shop!

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 · (Edited)
Several have used the phrase "a pleasure to work in" and that was, in part, what I have worked to achieve. Things like the paint, the oak trim and the rest of the things not needed for a shop to function but I just wanted it that way to be nicer place to work. I could have left it without sheet rock or most anything that is there but I like it the way it is--now it is time to get to work in it and learn from you masters out there.

One of the first things I will be making will be the two flag display cases I mentioned previously, it may be three. I intend to keep things simple, you know KISS or "keep it simple stupid". That's me, not you, just in case someone took that the wrong way.

There is a magazine holder that Honey would like me to build right away, so I will be working on that also I have a list of things to start on and will as finances permit. Got it mostly done and now don't have the cash to build anything--that is "partly" a joke. How did they say that "all dressed up and nowhere to go"? Well we're going somewhere to be sure!!

I want to move up to wall cases , not fancy just basic to learn to make a box, There is a book that Dan has suggested on cabinet making that I would like to pick up in the near future that will help me progress. I still have a fairly large project in the bath just off the shop (tired of running upstairs) and I will need to build a couple cabinets for that also.

Well thank you for your kind words I appreciate the support I have received from all concerned thank you all.

It interesting no one has mentioned having an under counter refrigerator just inside the door!

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Several have used the phrase "a pleasure to work in" and that was, in part, what I have worked to achieve. Things like the paint, the oak trim and the rest of the things not needed for a shop to function but I just wanted it that way to be nicer place to work. I could have left it without sheet rock or most anything that is there but I like it the way it is--now it is time to get to work in it and learn from you masters out there.

One of the first things I will be making will be the two flag display cases I mentioned previously, it may be three. I intend to keep things simple, you know KISS or "keep it simple stupid". That's me, not you, just in case someone took that the wrong way.

There is a magazine holder that Honey would like me to build right away, so I will be working on that also I have a list of things to start on and will as finances permit. Got it mostly done and now don't have the cash to build anything--that is "partly" a joke. How did they say that "all dressed up and nowhere to go"? Well we're going somewhere to be sure!!

I want to move up to wall cases , not fancy just basic to learn to make a box, There is a book that Dan has suggested on cabinet making that I would like to pick up in the near future that will help me progress. I still have a fairly large project in the bath just off the shop (tired of running upstairs) and I will need to build a couple cabinets for that also.

Well thank you for your kind words I appreciate the support I have received from all concerned thank you all.

It interesting no one has mentioned having an under counter refrigerator just inside the door!
Jerry here is a set of cabinets I made for my bathroom downstairs. I used the book I told you about "The Complete Cabinetmaker's Reference" (Popular Woodworking) (Spiral-bound) : Amazon.com: The Complete Cabinetmaker's Reference (Popular Woodworking) (9781558707573): Jeffery Piontkowski: Books

I used Maple 3/4" plywood and cut down solid maple for edging ( 3/4" wide x 1/2" thick)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
That is some good looking stuff. Well I have never wavered from a good challange BTW don't forget the chess board, I have looked it over and looks like a good challange. I told you about the flag cases I think, will be getting the wood monday for the first. I am using walnut for the one belonging to the church and maybe oak for the others. I will order that book today, I was hoping Barns and Noble would have it but not there. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Yes I will have to put it on my To Do List. Good luck with the flag cases that should be a fun project. Do you have a mitre sled? I made one and use it all the time for smaller intricate work.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Yes I will have to put it on my To Do List. Good luck with the flag cases that should be a fun project. Do you have a mitre sled? I made one and use it all the time for smaller intricate work.
Yes I think, got it before the forum from Rockler so paid for. I would like the plans for the type you have. I didn't know about them when I got mine. Shoot I didn't even know about the forum then.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Yes I think, got it before the forum from Rockler so paid for. I would like the plans for the type you have. I didn't know about them when I got mine. Shoot I didn't even know about the forum then.
Ok I am not at home tonight but will email you the plans if I can find them. Will take a picture of mine so you have a good idea what it looks like.

161 - 180 of 183 Posts