Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I am back after a few weeks with yet another plea for help from my friends at Router Forum. You see, I have been busy these past few weeks and one of my projects is making a cross cut sled for my table saw. However, being Mr. Ridiculous and Mr. Perfection at the same time I have a dilemma. As you can see from the attached photo my sled is just under an 1/8th of an inch away from the blade. On the other side I will attach another short width of plywood that I can adjust for using a dado blade. This other piece will snug right up to the blade on the right side. Question, should I be concerned with the small gap on the left side? If so, how would you recommend that I fix it so that I am not chasing my tail? Do I put in an end mill of the appropriate size and use my router table to widen the miter slot on the left side. Or, would you recommend that I leave the miter slot as is and glue a piece of 1/2 inch baltic birch plywood to my existing piece and then just trim it to width with the table saw. Can I even glue the plywood with any chance of it staying attached for the long term?

Thanks as always for your advice.

Jim in Phoenix

Attachments

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Jim, I suggest moving your miter bar over 1/2" and then cutting your sled to exact length. This way you know the edge of the sled is where the cut will happen; this is useful for cutting odd shaped pieces.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Jim, are you asking how to get an exact zero clearance for the dado slot? Won't that constantly be changing for you as you change dado widths, or is it a dedicated sled for one specific size cut operation?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yeah, I can see where Mike and Dan are coming from. Unless my memory is rapidly failing (which is a definite possibility), I cannot remember ever hearing the 3- terms: Dado Blade, Zero Clearance and Table Saw Sled used in the same paragraph. It seems to me that by the end of day one, the sled would look like a Meth User's Front Teeth.

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
The Saw blade will always run along the blade as long as You use it for a dedicated sled for a standard blade. I think that this is where You have to decide what You will do with it. I would look at building a smaller sled with fence and clamps for cutting dados, and any cut where You use a dado blade. The first fence is ideal for cutting plywood for cabinet work where You need perfect 90 degree cuts. Just My thought . You do what ever You are happiest with. but keeping the blade up against the edge will be all but impossible with dado blades!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, if I add ten blades (just exaggerating) or a dado blade the blade width will expand to the right. This sled has a second piece that is slotted so you can adjust width to expand the slot to the right. What I hear Mike from Detroit saying is that I should just cut another dado about a half inch in length to overlap the existing dado and then position my miter runner so that there is a little overlap and then cut in flush. I think that may work as the critical measurement then will be the fence being 90 degrees perpendicular to the blade. I am going to use William Ng's five cut method to hopefully get it accurate.

Jim

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Please allow me to now say: All 3- phrases are in the same paragraph and actually do make perfect sense to me. Good work! I love it when someone thinks outside of the normal confines of typical - you did a very smart thing!

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.