Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I was asked to make a box to be used as a tea box with dividers and the top lifts off. The lady said when she die, she wants the contents dumped out and use the box for her funeral urn. Here are a couple boxes for that purpose plus a box for the K-Cup coffees and teas.

The multi-purpose boxes are made of tiger maple with a finish of Zar polyurethane, boiled linseed oil and mineral spirit (about 5-coats) then waxed. One has a walnut top and the other a cherry top. The photo of the tiger maple didn't come out very good. It really looks better than the photos.

The K-Cup box is made of padauk with a tiger maple top. The finish on the padauk is 3-coats of wax-free shellac. The tiger maple top has the same oil / poly / mineral spirit finish and the other two boxes.

Malcolm / Kentucky USA

Attachments

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Very nice work well, Malcolm. The boxes are beautifully finished. Those walnut corner flitches are a nice touch, too.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Malcolm she must be quite a lady to want her ashes in a box that nice.

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Beautifully done Malcolm . I so much want to make something like that myself someday . They would make great gifts .
Imagine visiting someone years later and seeing it at there house in use still . I think that would be very neat

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find the hardest part of making decent boxes is finding the wood for them. I can find truck loads of so-so lumber, but I have to be very selective or else the box just doesn't look good nor sell. Malcolm / Kentucky USA

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
I'm looking at the first two again and just love the looks of the lids . I like the knob less look the best also , although the knob would be nice use wise , it looks cleaner without

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
impressive work and details Malcolm...

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Really beautiful work. I love the contrasting lid and splined corners. The continuous grain of the sides is terrific as well. I would find a place of honor to show this off.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Fine Art Boxes

Love the boxes Malcom! Very fine workmanship! Just makes me want to try harder. I'm not as patient as I need to be! Your work is proof that patience and persistence make a huge difference on the finished product. Thank you for sharing pics with all of us. I resolve to try harder!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Malcolm, your work is to die for!

4.5in x 6.5in x 8.25in is enough to hold ashes, FYI.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Malcolm, your work is to die for!

4.5in x 6.5in x 8.25in is enough to hold ashes, FYI.
1 pound of Body Weight = 1 cubic inch of Urn Space (little less)

Example:

175 lbs. person needs an urn with 160 cubic inches (it is ok to have a little extra space in the urn)
200 lbs. person needs an urn with 180 cubic inches
250 lbs. person needs an urn with 230 cubic inches

1 - 16 of 16 Posts