Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. I am wanting to build a Murphy bed, twin or single size. Can anyone tell me if, because of the small size, I need the gas struts or spring system to help lift it?

·
Super Moderator
John
6,838 Posts
Murray
you can look up hardware kits for difference size beds, I am sure that they will tell you what you do what the bed Weights

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I worked at a place for a while that built them and they only used the springs but they were very light weight construction. John is correct when he says that size and weight is what determines what you need. Most plans probably specify which system you need and possibly a specific model.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I worked at a place for a while that built them and they only used the springs but they were very light weight construction. John is correct when he says that size and weight is what determines what you need. Most plans probably specify which system you need and possibly a specific model.
Charles...do I remember seeing some Murphy bed hardware in the L.V. catalogue? Seems to me it was one arm, three legs and mortgage on your firstborn.

Reactions: mbar57

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I know LV did have it but I can't find it in the current catalog.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I want to know is, because the weight of a single bed (twin) is not great, do I need either springs or gas struts to assist?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the price of around $400 for the kit and an additional $300 or so for freight to New Zealand, it then makes it an expensive item. I propose to use a slatted bed base and innerspring mattress probably mounted on a plywood or MDF base. If I don't use struts, I suppose I could do a trial run with the mattress on a sheet of MDF to get an idea of the weight. I would need a locking catch to hold it in the up position though if I don't use a kit.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I have to agree with you Murray, I would be trying to improvise. I know mdf is cheap but in this case I think I would be going with ply because of strength and weight issues. By the way, the normal murphy bed doesn't have a solid bottom. It is a lot of narrow strips that are screwed to the side rails so they don't bend and slip past the ledger strips. This is probably for weight savings as it removes about 50% of the weight from what a solid sheet would give.

Reactions: mbar57
1 - 14 of 14 Posts