Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently stumbled across these mussle chucks. I'm consodering investing in one for my router table. Does anyone have one? If so, was it worth the money?

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
one!, I have THREE, one on each of my 1/2" routers. It's a case of "what you've never had you never miss" BUT, believe me, once you have used one you won't ever consider using a router without one

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Harry, have you used it for larger bits like 3"? I've read horor stories of people who have had bad vibration problems and have even had the fly apart while using then... It makes me nervous

·
Super Moderator
6,790 Posts
Scott
We have numerous members that have muscle chucks never heard a complain here on the forum.
I believe you still can get a discount using the forum
I wish they came on all routers standard

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,187 Posts
I use a Musclechuck on my Dewalt router and love it. Changing bits has never been easier and I've no problems with vibrations. I think you'll find it is a very well made product.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've got one on each of my two routers (DW618 and a Triton TRA001) and won't ever use a router without one again. Never had any vibration problems, but I don't use a lot of large diameter panel/shaping bits.

I agree with Harry's recommendation on another thread to buy a 4mm t-handle, ball-end hex wrench. It makes operating the MuscleChuck easy-peasy.

TedP

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
two of em on my tritions Service is great Used a raised panel bit with the muscle chuck no peoblems

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Harry, have you used it for larger bits like 3"? I've read horor stories of people who have had bad vibration problems and have even had the fly apart while using then... It makes me nervous
I must confess that I haven't used a bit as big as 3", for raising panels I use a vertical raising bit, I reckon it's much safer! Note the tall fence which makes panel raising a breeze.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Even with the discount from the company, the Amazon.com price is slightly lower. However as far as I can tell Amazon.com does not sell any of the accessories such as the other sized collets or the assembly setting rings.

I do not own one so I do not understand what is the purpose of the assembly setting rings. The company site also sells sets of the collets, assembly rings and a wrench.

Harry, I cannot tell from the web site just what comes with the Musclechuck by itself. How many of the accessories do you use, and is the company wrench the one you recommend? Also, which type do you use with your Makita RP2301?
Thanks

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Hi Tom, only the MUSCLECHUCK arrives unless accessories are ordered. I bought a 1/4" and I think a 6mm reducer sleeve but I've never used them, most if not all jobs that require a 1/4" or 6mm bit is a job for the Makita RTO700 trim router. I did get the Allen key at the same time but I've found that an after market ball ended wrench is far better. The blue one was supplied and I bought the yellow one cheaply on E bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Thanks Harry.
I just discovered an odd thing. Buying the combo kits with the Allen key wrench is more expensive than buying the components individually!

For all interested the Router Forum discount it still good.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Tom, I just had a look at the web site and the separate items are:
chuck...........$69.30
wrench.........$9.45
sleeve..........$28.45
Total=$107.20 whereas combo kit#1 costs only $101.60, a saving of $5.60

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Even with the discount from the company, the Amazon.com price is slightly lower. However as far as I can tell Amazon.com does not sell any of the accessories such as the other sized collets or the assembly setting rings.

I do not own one so I do not understand what is the purpose of the assembly setting rings. The company site also sells sets of the collets, assembly rings and a wrench.

Harry, I cannot tell from the web site just what comes with the Musclechuck by itself. How many of the accessories do you use, and is the company wrench the one you recommend? Also, which type do you use with your Makita RP2301?
Thanks
I've just realised Tom that I forgot to answer your question. The Makita RP2301FC uses the #9 MUSCLECHUCK

·
Registered
577 Posts
I love the musclechuck on my Bosch 1617.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
I've said so many times Bob that once a MUSCLECHUCK has been used, there is no going back to an old fashioned collet chuck with spanner/s.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You are so right Harry, no way I would go back. I only wish they made Musclechucks for 1/4" routers so I could get one for my little Dewalt DWP611.😊

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just ordered mine today... Wish I had seen the bit about the ball-end 4mm allen key as I ordered a second one with my order!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts