Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I have always inserted the reducer to the point where the top ring rests on the surface of the Chuck itself. I have never had a problem with this approach. However, out of curiosity I posted the question to the company and once I receive a reply I will post it here.
iwould have posted a photo but apparently I am not allowed to do that.

·
Registered
Trim carpenter
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jon, thanks for the reply, I did get a reply from musclechuck, I forgot to post what they said.
Joe replied that the total length of the 1/4” is about 1.3 inches. In use I gathered that the top ring sticks above the musclechuck .3”, so I guess that means that there is 1” in the musclechuck.
Trying to get all this figured out so I can put a spacer under the donut for my Sommerfeld bits. Don’t want it to interfere with the reducer whenever I get one.
Tom

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Tom, appreciate the reply. I checked my reducer and in round numbers it is 1.3" long with both the top ring and the raised area below it being .1" each. Based on the comment you recoevied from Musclechuck that the reducer should be .3" above the Chuck it sounds as though my approach is incorrect. I will continue to clarify this with the company and advise. It is unfortunate that the instruction sheet does not clarify this point.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Tom

I just found DeRosa's video on how to use the reduction sleeve and it appears I was wrong. The reduction sleeve only slides into the collet up to the first collar leaving about .3" above the Chuck. Have you viewed their video?

·
Registered
Trim carpenter
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tom, appreciate the reply. I checked my reducer and in round numbers it is 1.3" long with both the top ring and the raised area below it being .1" each. Based on the comment you recoevied from Musclechuck that the reducer should be .3" above the Chuck it sounds as though my approach is incorrect. I will continue to clarify this with the company and advise. It is unfortunate that the instruction sheet does not clarify this point.
Thanks,Jon. Really appreciate that!

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Thanks,Jon. Really appreciate that!
Tim, I received a reply from Joe DeRosa and he confirms with a photo that the reduction collet should only be inserted to that first ring. Regrettably, if their video showing the correct insertion of the reduction collet was available years ago I never found it. Hence I shelved that part. Time to dust it off and create some router dust.

cheers
Jon

·
Registered
Trim carpenter
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tim, I received a reply from Joe DeRosa and he confirms with a photo that the reduction collet should only be inserted to that first ring. Regrettably, if their video showing the correct insertion of the reduction collet was available years ago I never found it. Hence I shelved that part. Time to dust it off and create some router dust.

cheers
Jon
Thanks a lot Jon

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Tim

just an FYI,based on further discussions with Joe DeRosa, he has kindly offered to evaluate my MUSCLECHUCK, insert combination and either repair or replace the pair as they deem appropriate.
The firm has always been lauded for its customer service and I am pleased to see that it is continuing.

Regards
jon

·
Registered
Trim carpenter
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tim

just an FYI,based on further discussions with Joe DeRosa, he has kindly offered to evaluate my MUSCLECHUCK, insert combination and either repair or replace the pair as they deem appropriate.
The firm has always been lauded for its customer service and I am pleased to see that it is continuing.

Regards
jon
Thats awesome Jon! Good deal!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts