Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK you guys, I am starting to think seriously about getting a Multi-Tool.

What do you Multi-tool users use? I am not into big projects anymore just small stuff probably sanding and cutting in odd shaped corners etc.
there must be some that woodworkers really like.
No Festools please,

Herb

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Herb, my FIL, my best friend and I, all have the $15 Harbor Freight one. One of HF's little gems as far as I'm concerned! I was really surprised just how well it works.

My FIL has bought at least a couple of them, not because they fail, but because his kids see how well the work and want them also!

Oh, I'd NEVER recommend Fe$tool, by the way.. too rich for my blood!

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I bought the Canadian Tire one and it has been surprisingly good. That wouldn't normally be of help to you but my brother thought it might be the same tool Harbor Freiht sells for around $30 -40. If I were to replace it with a better one I might go Bosch just because of their reputation.

·
Super Moderator
5,760 Posts
Herb, my FIL, my best friend and I, all have the $15 Harbor Freight one. One of HF's little gems as far as I'm concerned! I was really surprised just how well it works.
I used mine to cut the base molding where I was installing the end cabinet for ourr Buffet and the wet bar I built for our friends. made perfect cuts. Just a tad of caulk and it looked like original construction.

The little triangular tool helps sand in tight places.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
OK you guys, I am starting to think seriously about getting a Multi-Tool.

What do you Multi-tool users use? I am not into big projects anymore just small stuff probably sanding and cutting in odd shaped corners etc.
there must be some that woodworkers really like.
No Festools please,

Herb
I have the Fien...
got Bosch too...
nothing like the Fien and Bosch holds their own against it...
both of them are top rated..
once you have one the get'er done list will grow and grow and grow...
it's one of the tools....
where have you been all my life...

even took my cast off w/ it...

don't waste your money on the Rockwell, HF, PC or Dremel...
got experience with them too...
The Fein blades are very good but there is no point in shelling out big bucks when as good or maybe better can be had for a lot less...
do not waste your money on Asian blade...
stick w/ USA, German, Swiss and Austria made blades...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Have the ctc like Chuck,cheap tool that has got me out of a few jams,don't use often but for those once in a while nothe else will do it jobs I am happy to have it

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys ,I see where this is going to be a tough decision.

And Rick, nothing against Festool, they are the Cadillacs of tools, I am Ford/Dodge guy.

Herb

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
I've got the Ford, the Dremel. I don't use it every day, so I don't need the robustness of the expensive ones.

It has done it's share of trim work, detail sanding, and cutting access holes into cabinet backs and drywall. I need to get a grout blade and try it removing old tile for repair.

I reviewed it a while back, and the short power cord and how warm it gets after a while are the biggest drawbacks.

With the Bosch blade adapter it can use almost anyones blades.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Thanks guys ,I see where this is going to be a tough decision.

And Rick, nothing against Festool, they are the Cadillacs of tools, I am Ford/Dodge guy.

Herb
FWIW...
I base my picks on quietness, smoothness, power, blade interchangeability, cool running, comfortable to use, little to no hand numbing vibration to the user... you get the idea...
can't say anything about service.. never needed any..
Tom's Rockwell and PC did...
followed the MM on other forums.. echoes to what I've said...

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Fein FM250Q, Herb - the original and probably still one of the best. I'm on my second Fein after the first one got "taken for a walk". This one os 5 years old. For ease of use it's worth considering models with a (toolless) quick change device for the cutters - these save having to find the Allen key which always seems to go walkabout at critical moments! BTW I'm trade, hence the "spendy" toy

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the Rockwell which I like very much you can buy adapters for it to use other attachments from other brands I also have a Fein but I use my Rockwell in my business the most and after 3 years it is still going strong.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm with Keith. Have a several year old Rockwell that cuts faster and runs much cooler than the other cheap models I've used. We use them mostly for cutting off the bottoms of door jambs and some misc. They don't get a lot of use but probably more than most hobbyists would give them.
Dennis

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,187 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I have the Harbor freight unit it has worked great for everything I use it for. I did several bathroom redo's for friends and family and it keeps on working. I use mine allot cutting out dry wall board and cutting moulding.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a Harbor Freight corded one I picked up for $20 US that I have used a lot in the past 4 years and I will buy another one when this one dies. I also have a Milwaukee M12 series cordless that works great. It does go thru battery charge quicker than the drill/driver but I still get plenty of work time from the standard battery.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I agree with Stick, I haven't been able to challenge my Fien yet. Works great for cleaning out caulk from teak decks on boats as well as wherever in the house and shop.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts