Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some pictures at my first attempt at boxmaking, actually my first attempt at at fine woodworking. Corey got me interested in boxmaking a few months ago and has been coaching me on the sidelines so I must give credit where credit is due. This practice box was made pretty much by following Doug Stowe's DVD. It is made of common red oak with walnut miter keys. I finished it in simple stand alone Danish Oil.

Any critique is welcome as I am still learning. I know the box itself is not perfect, but the learning experiece was great.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Nice Bob

Now what are you going to put in it ??

That's what neat about making boxes, you pickup some nice wood and the next thing you are doing is making a box with it and then you say that was fun one more would be fun so you'er off making boxes and looking for things to put in them :) :)
and then at some point you switch over and start making boxes to fit what you want to put in them :) I have a box for just about every tool I have :) :) :) some big some small, then you say well the boss needs a box or two and you start making boxes for her :) :) we have a standing joke here at home ,, " where did I put that ?, look in the garage in a box and you will find it" :) :)

I'm looking forward to see what you come up with next :)
Have fun

Bj :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Very nice Bob N...your mitered joints couldn't be any cleaner than that!
I like the way the walnut splines look with the red oak.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Bob N said:
I know the box itself is not perfect
I don't know, looks REAL nice to me.... of course, my opinion is offered freely and is worth exactly what you paid for it... :)

Splines really set it off in my opinion, as does the lid design. Just different enough from a "flat top" to enhance it.

Brian

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I'm impressed Bob. Who would ever of thought you could use power tools as well as a calculator? (ducking)
Nice job!

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments y'all, it is encouraging when fellow woodworkers approve of your work.

Bj.... you mean that you actually put things in these? :rolleyes: :cool:

Mike.... a calculator IS a power tool :D

The splines and miters were actually easy compared to cutting 1/8 inch daddos :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bj,

Jigs my foot.... if I made something that nice the boss would want it in the living room..... hmmmm, come to think of it, I could use the extra shop space :D :cool:

Thanks BJ, that is a nice looking piece.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Very nice Bob! I'll be posting my first box effort in a week or so. Wish I'd seen yours earlier!

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Geordie and I am anxious to see yours. Bet it will top mine in a heatbeat :)

nzgeordie said:
Very nice Bob! I'll be posting my first box effort in a week or so. Wish I'd seen yours earlier!

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Only your first attempt at box making. Can't wait to see your second attempt, and third and so on. Nice work Bob.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
14,937 Posts
BobN, it's obvious that you are going to become a first class box maker but as you asked for input, here is my observation.The hinges really should have been rebated between box and lid, (it's not too late!) the lid insert would, in my opinion have looked better had the edges been fully rounded over, or a 45 deg chamfer, finally, what happened to the photo-shoot during the making?

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Harry,

Thank for the critique and some very good points made. I followed a beginners design by Doug Stowe as my model, but as you pointed out, the changes would have improved further the already good design. I may re-work the hinges and will certainly keep the suggestions on the top in mind for future boxes.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hey Bob

If you do rework the hinges think about the wooden type this will hide the holes you now have in the box and will not take away from your box they will only add a nice touch to your box.
Plus you have the router to inlay them in,they are easy to make and once you do you may want to use them all the time in all your boxes, note you don't need to inlay them in they look great just glued in place, I made a bigger one for my router tool parts box that's under the top of my router table and they are real strong :)

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bj,

Those are really nice and I have saved the pdf, but I better save them for #4 or #5. It will take me that long at least to get good enough to try those. :sold:

Thanks for the great tip!

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Bob

They are easy to make on the router table and almost as much fun as making the box, make some up and put them to one side so you have them when you get into the 4th and the 5th ones.

Tip use 1/2" thick Walnut,Maple,hardwood then use the band saw to get them down to 1/8" thick...drill the hinge pin holes 1st., I used 1/16" drill rod and spring wire for the pins then with just a dot of solder on the ends they are locked in.

Have fun and you will :) making your own hinges.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
challagan said:
Excellent Bob thanks for the image there. May have to try that. How about a how to :) picture show :) Now I sound like Harry from down unda!

Corey

Hi Corey

You'er welcome ,I could but the PDF file is so good it would be hard for me to make it any easyer other than changing the mm over to dec. :)

Just in case someone wants a FREE convert program here's one ▼

http://joshmadison.com/software/convert/

I would suggest to anyone that wants to make the hinges ,they print out the PDF file and then put in the right sizes with the convert program.
i.e. 5/8 wide and 7/8' long hinge parts with a 1/8" wide slots.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts