Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
You gonna love it Topher! The Colt is my favorite go to palm router. Actually its my only palm router *L* I don't count the old craftsman trim router
cuz I can't find it.

Once you become SOLD on the thing, take a look at the plunge base available for it. Well worth the investment

Reactions: Topher

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
way to go Topher...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Congratulations on your new acquisition.

GO BOSCH!!!!!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have purchased this same router from Bosch. The reason being two fold, one it will fit the Piranha Routing Machine, I hope to buy and secondly it seems to fit the projects I have in mind to do with as a trim router now. Good Luck with yours.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I liked mine so much I bought a second one, just so I could buy the plunge base.
Routers and their accessories! Got to love em.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
The plunge base for the Colt has the best turret design of any of the small routers. The dust collection adapter works very well. The handles are very comfortable and the base is very stable. With or without the plunge base you can build a small ski jig for increased control like the one shown here with a Bosch 1601.

Attachments

Reactions: gjackson52

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
A ski jig is moved by holding the end risers. This gives you highly accurate cuts without the need for the router to sit on the material. You can surface plane wood; plunge the router into the wood to cut a pocket, bowl shape or any shape really; carve signs etc..

Harry has posted a series of tutorials showing how to make and use a ski jig. You will find them in the sticky threads at the top of the Jigs and Fixtures section and in the Guide Bushings and Templates section of the forums. Harry uses steel rods to support the router. My plywood ski jig designs work with routers that do not have the holes in the base for the rods.

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
I did finally get mine out of the box. If it lives up to all the claims and hype I have read hear and on Web reviews, I think it will be a great router. However, I have found at my age, and my lack of wood working knowledge, I can screw up almost every thing. I have to make or build, or I should rebuild and start over a minimum of three times. There is joy in woodworking two fold (1) no Mother-in-law issues and (2) when I screw up, I can always burn the mistake in the fire pit. Needless to say we roast a lot of hot dogs. Question can you purchase just the plunge base anywhere or must you still by the router again also?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts