Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,

A sad day is upon us (me). I am selling my wooden band saw that I've labored upon for many sleepless hours.

I built this fine machine over a 6 month period. There was no real urgency to build it, so I took my time. As many of you know, many such band saws exist from woodgears.ca. This, however, is one-of-a-kind. :crying:

Anyway, drama aside, it's up for sale. After using the saw for a while (which, by the way, has a BRAND NEW 1.5 HP Baldor industrial motor), I've found that I am wanting of more complex fence features. If your sole band saw task is resawing, this is a fine saw for you. Clamp down a fence and you're ready. I also find that the dust control is a big issue for my home. My lady has allergy problems, and this saw has no dust collection port. The dust flies free, mostly.

This saw comes with two timber wolf blades: 1/4'' and 3/4''.

I'd like the saw to go to a good home. Price is negotiable, though the motor alone was 300$ with shipping, so that factors into my mentality.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
What a nice job you did on that saw, Phillip, a shame to get rid of it. From the pictures, you used quality materials and superb craftsmanship to build it.
At one time I was contemplating building one too. But didn't know whether I was skilled enough to take on such a task. It is not only unique , but an essential tool for a shop , and to say that " I built that" would be a source of rightful pride.

I hope you find a person that sees the effort you put into making it and enjoys it as much as you surely did over the time you used it.

You might consider for dust control attaching a port at the back bottom wheel cowling and a wye to a port just under the table where the blade cuts , this will usually collect about 90% of the sawdust.

I wish you luck in finding a buyer, and know it will break your heart to see it leave your shop.

Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Great job Phillip. I wouldn't think you'll have too much trouble getting rid of it.

Herb my saw didn't come with dust control so I added a port in the bottom of the lower blade guard. It is totally ineffective. I've seen a saw or two with factory ports that are just under the front of the table near the sawing action and I think that might be the only place you can put it to be effective at all.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Kiernan
Not just a band saw, but also a work of art. Nicely done.

+1.
Sid.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Great job Phillip. I wouldn't think you'll have too much trouble getting rid of it.

Herb my saw didn't come with dust control so I added a port in the bottom of the lower blade guard. It is totally ineffective. I've seen a saw or two with factory ports that are just under the front of the table near the sawing action and I think that might be the only place you can put it to be effective at all.
You are right, a port in the bottom doesn't do that much good, and the port at the source ,under the blade is the most effective. My saw had neither, and I added both at the same time so can't vouch for how much dust each one removes, but it does a good job overall.
The only con is that to tilt the table the port under the table gets in the way. I don't tilt my table so it doesn't matter to me.
And to change blades, I have to remove the port, but it is not that big of deal,just remove 2 screws.

Herb

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Herb; it looks like you've fit dust collection to your saw quite well.

There is more back story about why I am getting rid of the saw. In addition to the purely logistical reasons, I struggle with perfection. Wood is a difficult medium to pursue perfection. I'd like to give up the saw to give up the pursuit of perfection when this pursuit serves only to make me crazy. I'll try harder to be perfect where it counts.

Like I always say; to change the world, change your mind.

Somebody buy this thing.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Herb; it looks like you've fit dust collection to your saw quite well.

There is more back story about why I am getting rid of the saw. In addition to the purely logistical reasons, I struggle with perfection. Wood is a difficult medium to pursue perfection. I'd like to give up the saw to give up the pursuit of perfection when this pursuit serves only to make me crazy. I'll try harder to be perfect where it counts.

Like I always say; to change the world, change your mind.

Somebody buy this thing.
That is quite funny ,Phillip, I have to LOL.

Herb

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jonathan,

I'm in Massachusetts just outside Boston. I expect the shipping would be several hundred dollars because it would have to go by freight. Send me a PM and we can discuss by phone if you like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a great looking saw, certainly understand why you're heart broken. I wish I lived close enough to see it and then probably buy it. Texas is a ways off though. Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
4,625 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Philip... A shame to part with a beautiful machine you labored a long time to build....
A dust port doesn't have to be an elaborate setup..... Being a minimalist, I fashioned one on my old Delta clone that works very well....Mounted just below the table near the blade....
I have a 2 hp dust collector hooked to it, which, I think, is one of the reasons it works so well..
I realize yours is a much different animal than mine, but with your obvious abilities, I'm sure you can fashion something....

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts