Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Corey

You know me by now I love jigs and this one looks like a great one.

You said ▼

"The downside to the jig is you must use their bits with it"

I don't think so , the norm is a 8deg. dovetail bit and a standard straight bit with 5/8" OD bearings.
take a look at the set below, it should work in the jig.
Plus it comes with a small dovetail bit for 1/4" and 3/8" stock for the neat little boxes we both make. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/5pc-Top-Bearing...5081036QQihZ003QQcategoryZ50386QQcmdZViewItem

Plus at a great price, about 1/2 the price of the MLCS set.

Bj :)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Corey

The key is the 5/8" OD bearing, but it looks like they are using a lock ring that's 5/8" OD also just to be on the safe side.

But once you play with let me know ,Thanks

NOTE***take one of the bits out of the bag and take a snapshot of it and post it ,,,thanks :) :)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Thanks Corey

Yep, a long lock 5/8" OD ring/collar just for a safe guard so you don't cut in the template and a long bit, Keller type router bit, 1/2" 8deg. dovetail bit.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/c1431

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
challagan said:
Thanks Bob! Can you buy those long lock collars like that?

Corey

I don't think so, only from the spot you got the jig from.
You can get the short ones from Whiteside for 3.oo ea.
you can stack 2 or 3 and have the same thing.
LC 1/4
http://woodworkersworld.net/ball_bearings_arbors.shtml#lc

But here's a tip, put a O-Ring under the lock collar, they come with VERY Small set screws that don't stay in place, and the O-Ring will stop the collar from dropping down when you are not looking and it will wipe the jig out, one nick and it's junk, that maybe why they use a long one.
Recalls can kill a company as you know .
A 4.oo dollar collar is cheap insurance for them.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Corey

One more request, take your mike and check the ID on the slots on the jig just to see if they are 1/2" or 5/8" on back end of the slots.
One slot with the bit is always better than two, two will rip on the 2nd pass in ,no side support or to say no chip breaker on the 2nd pass when you move it over to clean up the slot.
I hate to re-engineer tools for the Mfg.but sometimes you need to once you use one.

Thanks

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Corey

Your routers bits got me going :) and I said OK if you can't buy them make some,and that's what I will today about 20 or so.
I have a box of 1/2" OD x 2 1/4" Alum. Stand Offs with a 1/4" ID that will fit the bill and with 2ea. 6-32 x 1/8" Allen Set Screws in ea.one the new type Lock Collar should do the job and I will replace the ones I have now and they should hold without using the O-Ring.

That's what's neat about this Forum something new every day for the woodworker.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Corey

Just a update for kicks, see snapshot below, I still need to pickup some Allen set screws Monday but other than that they are done and ready to go to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
challagan said:
That's amazing Bob! Looks like you did it!! Good job!

Corey

Thanks Corey

Fun stuff on a Sunday :)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Sounds Like you had a great Sunday :)

Man do I recall the soccer games days with my 4 kids, dorp one here drop one hear pickup one here then take them all to the mall wait a hour or two in the truck and back home by 8:00 PM and the day was shot BUT it was fun LOL, but I'm glad I don't do it anymore, now they have kids and they get to do it hahahahahahaha :) what comes around goes around :)

Now I can go to the mall and get tools without the kids coming along, it's great :)
and at 20.oo bucks for each one of them (the kids) that can drain my tool fund real quick .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.