Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the routerforum. I love woodworking and want to make the most of my router and other tools. One thing I enjoy about woodworking is building jigs. I plan to build a jig to turn logs into 10" and 12" rounds using my router. Does anyone have information on building a jig that will help do this? Preferably plans!

·
Super Moderator
John
6,915 Posts
Hello Steve welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the nice profile.
have got any pictures of your toys?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome Steve. I don't have plans but the principle is simple. You need a jig with 2 endplates, one fixed and one that can slide. You need a pin of some type in each endplate to spin the round on like the turning centers on a lathe. Over the top of these build a trough that your router can slide back and forth in. You'll need a slot cut out of the center of the trough for the bit to go through. Run the bit back and forth over the log and turn it a bit and go again until its round. The pins could be bolts with the ends sharpened. If you make holes for the pins at different heights you can accommodate different diameter rounds.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Steve.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,884 Posts
Welcome to the forum Steve.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Steve, I know what you mean about making jigs!

Whenever I am going to make a jig I find myself wondering if I can make another jig to make that one.

I can only justify making jigs though if I will need them regularly. Once every 20 years is enough to convince me though! ;)

Al

On topic I bet you could use a piece of threaded rod that you turned and it in turn slowly rotated the log and also moved the router along?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts