Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fortunate enough to have had a neighbor who decided he no longer had time to do any woodworking. When we got to know each other fairly well, He started giving me his tools, most of which belonged to his dad. These included a jointer, a bandsaw, two B and D workmates and a bench top drill press. As I already had a bench top drill press, I knew it would be nice if I had a floormount. Since drill presses consist of three main components, it should be easy enough. Until I started looking into 5 foot posts. I called a local steel supply in Phoenix, and was able to buy a 5 foot bar of solid aluminum for 65 bucks. Since I needed it to be mobile, I made a box, attached four casters to it and viola! Now I have a mobile floormount, thanks to my neighbor.

·
Administrator
David
3,985 Posts
Welcome to the forum! When you get a minute go ahead and complete your profile with first name and location.

Ditto what Bob said - make sure that stand doesn't tip over. Post photos of your shop as you build it out - we like pictures! :wink:

David

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
What a nice neighbor to have. Ditto on all the cautions about making sure the drill press won't tip. I inherited my Dad's cast iron Craftsman floor model, made before I was, and I looked at the original packing sheet for it. Shipping weight 302 pounds! The mobile base I built is far wider and deeper than the press, and I also have a safety chain at the top to attach to different wall hooks. Once that thing starts tipping, you can't stop it. There's a reason I know that.

·
Premium Member
20,498 Posts
Welcome, safety chain and hooks, good idea and a wide base to boot? Nice. Looking forward to hearing more on your shop. Really great getting tools from your neighbor.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,545 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Wish I had a neighbor like that lol

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,073 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hey, dwcon; welcome! Can we call you N/a? Just kidding, but it'd be great if you could put some info like your first name and area you're posting from into your profile. This first post will dissapear into the archives but the profile is always up there on the left when you make a comment.

In a machine shop, the drill press base would be bolted to the concrete floor, eliminating the tipping issue. Most of us want the flexibility of being able to move our floor model DPs if we need to, hence the concern for the tipping risk from our unmounted machines. Like the others have mentioned, a wiiiiide base and lots of weight down there. I think most of us have castors (locking!) but the truth be known, they can make the tipping more risky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts