Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My company was pitching out some office furniture and I snagged a large desk..it was 1 " thick melamine top and sides were 3/4". Used it for a while as an actual desk, until realized it really was too large for home use...lol. So I took it all apart and stored all the pcs, for I knew I could come up with a use for this heavy duty material for something.

Few years later...I get the idea for making a router table after reading various threads about how useful they are. Took various ideas and put them together and now its at the half way stage...functional but far from pretty...lol.

The top is a section of that 1" melamine desktop, 45" x 25". I use an offcut of this same material as a fence for it most times. I did put together a elaborate fence with features I seen from Norms, but most times I find myself using just the simple piece of melemine...being simpler to pick up and use.(and lighter :D )

I had planned on installing drawers on both sides and under the middle section....but now am thinking of building a unit that will accomodate my recent aquisition, a contractor TS and the router table. I seen the unit in ShopNotes #89 and it would prolly be a more efficient use of my small work area.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I just forgot to rout out a slot for a mitre guage, but am holding off now, since it looks like will be building a tablesaw workcenter that has the router table built into it.

I cannot seem to get the insert link function to work, it keeps asking me to delete my link before I can post the message...:(

Attachments

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Nice table Black Blade. You won't be able to post a link until you have at least ten (I think) posts. It's to help keep spammers out.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Functional is the key word here BB. It doesn't have to be pretty, just work. Pretty is an extra. Good work.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice table Black - and that is why we wood workers never throw any wood away. Always a use for it later.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is good reuse.
Take a desk that was used for boring office work and make it in to something enjoyable to use.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Great! I am glad to see there is other people in this world that can and will salvage stuff that is destined for the land fill and give it new life as well...Looking at the back ground of your shop I am glad to see a man that "Digs" his "G.Ts"...(groovie tunes).

You know if you leave the lid open on the washing machine during the wash/spin cycle the turbulence will suck the dust away from your work are...The spouse will probably make you sleep in the shop as well.

Have fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am glad to see there is other people in this world that can and will salvage stuff that is destined for the land fill and give it new life as well
LOL...its a sore point with the wife...last fall somebody in our complex threw out a futon...I spied some of it sticking out of the dumpster, turns out it had a oak framework and heavy 3" thick end sections, some parts were splintered where you could tell they either didn't have the patience to dismantle it or wanted to wreck it ffrom anyone else using it.

So now I got over a dozen 1x3 oak strips, some 1x5 pcs, and those thick end pieces...don't know what to do with em, but hey its oak....there will be something down the road I'm sure....lol.

Just last week, had to leave a huge pine headboard with turned posts, it was over 1" thick too. If I would have had a planer....but alas it will be some time before I will...no room for it.:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts