Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went off bandsaw boxes for a while, and made the garden furniture, but then someone mentioned he had seen and liked a yin yang box I had made last year and that got me to thinking....
So I made a yin yang box, but using a squashed barrel idea just to be different.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vince, I'm not organised enough to make tutorials. This one was inspired by a throwaway comment of a friend. It took my fancy and I just built it, making it up as I went along over a 4 day period.
By the time I think of pictures, its a done deal. But if anyone has a specific question I am more than happy to explain, although it is basically just a bandsaw box.

Looking at these pics on the big screen has made me realise I MUST improve my picture technique. I havent even polished it properly. OOOPS.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I went off bandsaw boxes for a while, and made the garden furniture, but then someone mentioned he had seen and liked a yin yang box I had made last year and that got me to thinking....
So I made a yin yang box, but using a squashed barrel idea just to be different.

Bob I have no heard of a yin yang box so I googled it and looked at a few. I didn't see any that looked better than yours. What wood did you use? Yours looks a lot like what I call a band saw box but like you say it's different. I will have to say you out done your self on making this. You should be proud of your self.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate your compliments.
It is just a bandsaw box, but embellished with the front laminations and attempts to hide any saw cuts.

By making the front panel separate from the original cut out, it completely hides the bandsaw cuts.
I also dont attach the back panel untill AFTER the box is cut. This makes for more work sanding and shaping it to fit the side outline, but it does away with "sliced" join showing on the finished edge.
If you look very carefully at the inside of the hollow you can just see the joint on the bottom to the right of centre.

The box is made of (starting from the back)
Walnut,
24 mm ply,
rosewood,
12mm ply,
rosewood,
24 mm ply,
walnut.
The front drawer face is a walnut backing, with beech and padauk swirls.
The inside is flocked.

Obviously all cut from the the same original laminated block

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.