Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really scratching my head on this one. I was given a box of wood,and told to see what I could build out of this.

It is a real challenge. Apparently the owner Had cut down an ornamental shrub, maybe a Holly bush, and cut it in firewood length,then decided to resaw it into boards some time ago. He cut it green and sprayed/ painted it with paraffin wax and stored it away in his shop dark corner and forgot about it. When he passed away awhile back, his widow gave it to me and asked for me to please makes something out of Al's wood for her.

What do you think Guys?
Herb

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
I think it is totally worthless, except for firewood. So, you had better box it up and send it to me. I'm in a good mood today, so I'll even pay shipping. PM me for my address if you agree.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
how about some insight to the owner...

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are all good ideas.
He was a Stress Eng. MIT Grad. with a Master Degree in Business Management from another College on the East Coast, and his hobby was wood working. He was one of the passed pres. of our WW club an the only thing he ever showed were these complicated jigs,and vacuum venturas for vacuum veneering, that I can remember, his woodworking knowledge was low to mid level in my book. Nothing like I see from you members.
His wife is a Structural Engr. and a Masters in Material Stress Engr. ,They lived in an upper middle class neighborhood, raise 10 kids, they each had 4 and they adopted 2 more. She has very high tastes and I am not sure I could meet her level of approval, but will do my best.

I am thinking along the same lines as you are. A box sounds good, I like the planter idea,I will definitely use the live edges and try to maximize the grain. It is going to be a lot of hand work as the warpage of the boards is extreme, but I plan to use that as a feature too.

Thanks for the input, now back to the shop,I am on a mission.

Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Maybe cut some of the better pieces into veneer? You’d have more options that way. Veneer both sides and cap the edges with thin strips of it and it would almost look like solid wood.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
a planter that looks like a bridge...
:grin: I don't want to get into her area of expertise. But the planter is looking like a good way ,the plants and the live edge,HMMMMM.......... they kind of go together.

The slabs are all length grain,with lots of knots. I sanded some today with an ROS and I think I am on to something.

Herb

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts
:grin: I don't want to get into her area of expertise. But the planter is looking like a good way ,the plants and the live edge,HMMMMM.......... they kind of go together.

The slabs are all length grain,with lots of knots. I sanded some today with an ROS and I think I am on to something.

Herb
The wood is looking better and better now that you are sanding it. I vote for a box to store memories, or mantle clock to remind of happy times or maybe a live edge vase to bring a little beauty into her life.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
pedestal skeleton clock...
miniature GF skeleton clock..

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts

Herb
George Nakashima believed that it was the defects that gave pieces character.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
If it's Holly, might I suggest using some for a Chess set (The White ones obviously) and an endgrain chessboard. Or veneered as Charles suggested?
Maybe used with Purpleheart or Walnut for the Black pieces. There'd still be lots of wood left over afterwards...or conversely, use the offcuts for the White chess pieces.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I am not sure what she might like or what her interests might be. What do you think about a jewelry box / recipe box. I am letting my other interests filter in :smile: Thinking outside of the box :wink:maybe some kind of photo frame for family photos. That was just a couple ideas for the short pieces you have to work with. You will have to let us know what you decide on. Sounds like a nice project.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.