Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inspiration comes from a popular (ie. expensive) kids furniture store. My wife pointed it out to me and the first thing I thought was, "I can make that- I think." So after learning how to make an elipse jig, and some exciting angle cutting with my table saw, I think I came pretty close to the original "speedboat bed."

This was also my first foray into CAD- I started playing with google's free sketchup program- it was a life saver when it came to measuring angles and lengths for the front of the boat and the drawers. I included some output pics from that as well. Almost as much fun as making the real thing.

The main carcass is pine 2x8 and 2x4 ripped down to square off the edges and then painted. The trundle and drawers are painted ply. The trim, headboard, and footboard are red oak stained with a combination of stains that I mixed up.

I created the beadboard effect with a V-groove bit and my router on oak plywood- I thought about trying to assemble panels- but this will be a platform for playing on, I'm sure jumping off of it will happen too, and I wanted the strength of the plywood.

The elipse for the front and the radius for the headboard were all cut with a spiral bit and homemade jigs. The eliptical jig was fun to figure out/make.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Only thing missing is the capt's hat. :D
Looks really nice. Job well done!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. I'm debating the bowlight. the picture in the shop with my son has it on, but right now as it's set up in his room I haven't installed it yet. I can't make up my mind...

·
Registered
493 Posts
rPrice54,
A couple days ago, I commented on how great this bedboat is, but must not have clicked the "Post Quick Reply" so it didn't get posted. It is so beautiful and fun looking, I bet your son just loves it!
I think the light is a great idea.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Great looking project rprice. Go with the bow light and I think it should have a name on the side. Like, "USS. Your sons name". Keep up the great work and be safe.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
I agree with Dr. Zook, install the bowlight!! :D :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts