Router Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Hahahha, my shed would fit in your office....

More photos please........
French drains. Rock in trenches, or even perforated 4 inch PVC laid on top of the rocks, will catch and carry away water permanently. Raise the foundation so you have a downhill slope all around to carry rain water away from the base of the structure. If the structure runs across an underground water line, I'd consider a different location or rerouting the line. Having struggled with irrigation for nearly two decades here in the desert, almost all of my main irrigation lines are now schedule 80 PVC, very long life, not easily broken or breached. More expensive, but fewer problems.

My property is higher on both ends and shallow in the middle by 3 feet. My outside irrigation leads to open sprinklers and dribblers in the low areas, so when I cut off the water, the pipes all drain so even with a deep freeze,the buried pipes have nothing to freeze and burst the pipe.

Mentioning all this because for the wet spot to recur, suggests that a drain will be necessary. I'd also make sure you have rain gutters that carry the water away from the building. We have a complication of having a layer of concrete-like caliche, which doesn't let water soak down. Had to dig 2-4 feet down to enable planting and drainage.

I futzed around with schedule 40 for years because it was cheaper. It was always bursting, leaking, giving me fits and costly repairs. Schedule 80 is almost three times the price, but careful design, trenching and the self draining via gravity, has made it trouble free. I have risers here and there that feed short drip tubing, but also reveal the location of every pipe. A 1 day water leak here jumps the water bill by $300-$500. That has not happened since putting in the schedule 80.
Tom, would that one day leak be a drip or a gusher? Are you sure it's not liquid gold that leaks?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
We have had quite a bit of rain, and more coming. The road fared out really well. Just a few spots that are soft. I can handle that.

Now it will be the scheduling of the building company to get me on their schedule. Sometime in the next few weeks.

We are making progress. Mother Nature works on her own schedule.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
. Mother Nature works on her own schedule.
Unfortunately so do contractors and subcontractors..... Hopefully they overspent their Christmas budget and are ready to make some money!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have to say that all of the contractors have done what they have said that they were providing. I have been here the entire time that everything was done. They all knew, and know that I know what I want. I don't put up with shotty work. I have mostly worked with reputable companies.
Once the building is up, it is ALL on me!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I received confirmation today that they will start with the erection of the steel building probably mid week! I am ready!

I am currently installing the underground conduit for the electrical service from my house to the sub panel.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts