Router Forums banner
21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hahahha, my shed would fit in your office....

More photos please........
French drains. Rock in trenches, or even perforated 4 inch PVC laid on top of the rocks, will catch and carry away water permanently. Raise the foundation so you have a downhill slope all around to carry rain water away from the base of the structure. If the structure runs across an underground water line, I'd consider a different location or rerouting the line. Having struggled with irrigation for nearly two decades here in the desert, almost all of my main irrigation lines are now schedule 80 PVC, very long life, not easily broken or breached. More expensive, but fewer problems.

My property is higher on both ends and shallow in the middle by 3 feet. My outside irrigation leads to open sprinklers and dribblers in the low areas, so when I cut off the water, the pipes all drain so even with a deep freeze,the buried pipes have nothing to freeze and burst the pipe.

Mentioning all this because for the wet spot to recur, suggests that a drain will be necessary. I'd also make sure you have rain gutters that carry the water away from the building. We have a complication of having a layer of concrete-like caliche, which doesn't let water soak down. Had to dig 2-4 feet down to enable planting and drainage.

I futzed around with schedule 40 for years because it was cheaper. It was always bursting, leaking, giving me fits and costly repairs. Schedule 80 is almost three times the price, but careful design, trenching and the self draining via gravity, has made it trouble free. I have risers here and there that feed short drip tubing, but also reveal the location of every pipe. A 1 day water leak here jumps the water bill by $300-$500. That has not happened since putting in the schedule 80.
Tom, would that one day leak be a drip or a gusher? Are you sure it's not liquid gold that leaks?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
We have had quite a bit of rain, and more coming. The road fared out really well. Just a few spots that are soft. I can handle that.

Now it will be the scheduling of the building company to get me on their schedule. Sometime in the next few weeks.

We are making progress. Mother Nature works on her own schedule.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have to say that all of the contractors have done what they have said that they were providing. I have been here the entire time that everything was done. They all knew, and know that I know what I want. I don't put up with shotty work. I have mostly worked with reputable companies.
Once the building is up, it is ALL on me!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I received confirmation today that they will start with the erection of the steel building probably mid week! I am ready!

I am currently installing the underground conduit for the electrical service from my house to the sub panel.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
They started today instead of mid week!
The corner and middle post are up! Tomorrow will be the perlings that tie to the post, and hanging the trust beams.
I am very pleased!
Road surface Wood Asphalt Trunk Gas
Sky Daytime Leaf Nature Plant
Plant Road surface Asphalt Grass Sidewalk

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Day 3.
The rest of the perlings were installed @ 4 and 8'.
The 4 windows were framed in.
The doors were framed in.
The rear, exit door was installed.
I finished installing the underground, sub feed, PVC conduit, from shop to house panel! That was a job!

Next will be: installing the windows, doors, and the 40, Beam for my crane.
That will complete the frame portion.
More to come!

Sky Cloud Tree Branch Plant

·
Registered
22,005 Posts
Wow, haven't checked this string for awhile. That gravel looks like it runs slightly downhill from the slab. That's good. I stopped using pea gravel and now use crushed rock of similar size because it pack down when you drive over it. Pea gravel moves instead. My whole front yard is crushed rock, a mix of dark and lighter color stones.

I noticed the slab is slightly elevated. Good choice. Our back yard is "hollowed out" because they bulldozed it forward to elevate our slab to just a little higher than street level. When we installed my 10x12 office shed, I dug five four foot by 18 inch holes and filled them with crushed stone. This gives it drainage. I pay attention to this because the first year we moved here, we had record rainfall during the winter and I got to see how water tears things up. It's been drought the last few years, but I know to take preventive measures.

Good point about the 6 inch to accommodate the downspouts. Thanks, I have to do something about our washer's output. Don't want it going into the septic tank. It will be a big deal to dig a new deep tank. I've had thoughts about building a mother in law apartment in the back acre, but I'd likely have to have a separate system out there. I'd have to import dirt for a mound, or have a concrete foundation built up to make it safe from potential flooding. I'd have to get permission from my neighbor to pull the fence down for deliveries, equipment and concrete.

I'm enjoying your posts and seeing how things are coming along.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thank You Tom.
I had to be 12" above the "base flood elevation" level. It was mandatory to receive a valid building permit. The top of the slab is 23" higher than my original foundation/yard. I will have to work on my drainage plan. A work in progress.
That is why there is the incline.
I purchased 8" tall steel edging to contain the pea gravel. I will wait until all of the digging, trenching, equipment moving before I install it.
I removed 8 trees in my back yard to accommodate the shop build.
I have 16- Shingle Oak logs, and 16- Old growth Pine logs. After that I have to deal with a Pecan tree, and another Red Oak. Both are at different locations. Needless to say I will be very busy this year.

We have, Red Oak, Pecan, Cherry, Pine, Hickory, cypress, etc. I know there are more species. These are the ones that I have seen, locally.

Below are the pictures.

It is just beginning! It's a good thing that I retired! Lol
Plant Wood Tree Logging Trunk
Plant Window Tree Wood Land lot
Plant Wood Trunk Logging Grass

·
Registered
22,005 Posts
Holy cow! All those logs are going to keep you busy. Can't recall exactly where I saw it, but someone build a drying lean to that could be heated and dry the wood much faster. You might also contact a Tree removal/trimming company to bid on logs when these are gone. Bet you could sell some of that nifty roughcut wood without much problem.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I plan on air drying all of them. Less chance of warpage and checking. I will be a while setting up shop, working on projects that the wood is ready to work. I haven't really done any woodworking in a year, dealing with this massive (for me) project.

I am looking forward to finally be able to build some furniture. Most of my work was small projects, I was limited on space.

Ellery

·
Registered
842 Posts
Looks good Ellery.
I’ve been going through a lot of similar stuff building a garage shop. Driveway is also finished and floor has a nice hard plastic coating but not pictured here.
Radiant floor heat pex tubes in but no system installed yet., hopefully this year.
Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread.
I know there is a lot of stuff to think of when building so I’m happy for you.

Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
Thanks Tom, yeah it’s pretty much done for the winter.
As I mentioned earlier it still needs the radiant heat system.
I need a retaining wall on the left side by the neighbors’s as there’s a pretty big slope. I spent a couple of weeks moving and taking dirt trying to make a decent terrace until finally I decided I wouldn’t be happy with it. I’ll get it this year.
Anyway, my old basement garage shop still works fine so I went in to work on my Christmas present.
The new garage has become sort of a recreation center when the grandkids come over so for now I really don’t know what I’ll do, it might be a while before I build a shop in there,I do like the big open area.

21 - 40 of 100 Posts