Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I sold our house in Minnesota last summer and we bought a new place on the Chetek Chain of Lakes in Wisconsin. We moved in at the end of August. I've been super busy unpacking, getting settled in, and doing a ton of projects to get our new place to our liking.

My shop came last in the initial list of projects. So far, I've installed a furnace, put up the steel ceiling and fluorescent light fixtures, ran phone/cable/internet and did some wiring in the shop. I think it'll be an ongoing project to get the shop set up the way I want it.

I think I've got a very nice building to start with. It's a (square timber) log construction garage with a nice overhang on one end. It has a overhead door on the street end of the building and another one on the side, and a service door. It's got plenty of natural light with the 6 windows.

Here are a few photos of the outside. I'll also post photos of the inside.

Eric Erickson
Home Page

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Photos of the inside of my shop

Here are the photos of the inside of my shop.

The shop measures roughly 24' x 30'.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
stop thinking!!!

dang, that is a beautiful place you got going on there Eric!!!

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Color me green with envy of all that space on the inside, but not so much over that white stuff on the ground outside. ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
pristine

Here are the photos of the inside of my shop.

The shop measures roughly 24' x 30'.
This is to pretty to be a SHOP ! ! ! All kiding aside that is a well organized shop & I'm sure it makes all our members admire it. I like the planer, especially.
Good luck & enjoy yourself, Frank Lee:dance3:

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Eric I am just happy to see you back,-------shops nice too!!:haha::haha: I for one have missed you on the forum, after our chat the other day it is good to see you back.

So what will be your next project, will be looking forward to your updates.

·
Official Greeter
18,736 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Eric, awesome looking shop! You're way further along than I am. Just curious as to why you closed in your ceiling with the metal instead of wood or sheet rock? It looks wonderful. I would never have thought of doing that.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Eric, awesome looking shop! You're way further along than I am. Just curious as to why you closed in your ceiling with the metal instead of wood or sheet rock? It looks wonderful. I would never have thought of doing that.
I was wondering the same thing??

The reflected light alone would be good reason to consider such a material..

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Bill, Ralph, Frank, Deb, Jerry, and George.

It sure is my little paridise Robert.

James, I'm not so sure about you moving in... but, you're certainly welcome for a visit.

George and Bill, I went with the steel because I really like the look. I was at a shop a couple years ago that had the steel ceiling and it just seemed so practical. It's light weight compared to sheetrock & wood. It was easy to install. It'll reflect the light well. And... it really wasn't too expensive.

Deb, I didn't really want to leave my old shop behind. I had that fixed up pretty nice too, and it was a little bigger than my new shop. I'll be very happy here though and I really love having all these windows. Here's the post from my old shop http://www.routerforums.com/show-n-tell/13441-photos-my-shop-part-1-a.html#post109793

Eric Erickson

·
Registered
655 Posts
OK now wait a min. I don't see any sawdust all over everything that can't be a working shop. :unsure: Quit kiddin show us your real shop. :laugh:

All kidding aside Eric that's a great shop, and I am jelous.

Looking good, Now I know where to visit when we get up that way. :yes4:

Danny

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
SUPER! And I'll agree with Frank, to nice looking to be a shop! And how bout that Hitachi CW 40 scroll saw! I've got one too!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Eric:

Nice shop! Thanks for sharing.

How do you like the concrete floor in your new shop compared with the tile floor in your old workshop?

Eric

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Eric!

To be honest, I don't really miss the tile floor. It got very slippery with any little bit of saw dust. It swept up a little easier though.

Eric Erickson

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just added a couple new tools to the shop. I bought a new Woodpecker Router Table and Lift. I love it! Very nice fit & finish. (I know I should have built my own, but this was a lot faster.)

Also added a 26" Shop Fox Dual Drum Sander. Picked this baby up for $600, plus he threw in the casters and all the extra sandpaper he had. Just had to drive 5 hours to pick it up. I was worried that my dust collector wouldn't be big enough. But, it has been working just fine. What a time saver!

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks Eric!

To be honest, I don't really miss the tile floor. It got very slippery with any little bit of saw dust. It swept up a little easier though.

Eric Erickson
Eric:

Thanks for the input. I am still struggling with what to use for the flooring in my next workshop. The concrete in my current shop is ok, but I would like to try a flooring that:

1. Looks great,
2. Has a little give in it,
3. Is repairable and
4. Still cleans up easily.

I am considering just putting a 3/4" oak or maple flooring with a strong finish (like a basketball court floor). I am trying to get over the fact that I might scratch or dent it. Would I feel comfortable working on the floor and not worry about dropping something on it that would damage it? All that work of putting in the floor....and have it damaged by dropping a hammer on it.....

Eric

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Very nice shop.I am JEALOUS,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts