Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
E43ACF92-6917-4B63-B700-E5C4445F9000_1585722503682.jpeg
I have been dealing with depression that’s bad enough to keep me from being able to work. I have always been creative so I decided to get into woodwork as a form of therapy. As part of my learning process I decided to overhaul my 20-year-old Craftsman workbench. I ended up building a new top, cutting the legs down and adding casters, adding T Track and finally including a small slot where I mounted a finish router for smaller projects. I have just enough room left to add a shop vac and dust deputy. I’m limited on space so I had to be creative. I had a great time learning and working with a buddy who taught me a lot. I’m now helping him finish his shop that he started 20 years ago but never finished due to family and life. I would say it’s therapeutic for both of us. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that's not overkill...
it's a functional work of art...

can you elaborate more on your plans for the DC???
inquiring minds want to know...

thanks...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's not overkill...
it's a functional work of art...

can you elaborate more on your plans for the DC???
inquiring minds want to know...

thanks...
Sure! Right now my thought is to pick up the compact 5 gallon wet/dry shop vac with 6.5 hp. I believe those are the specs. It will sit on the bottom shelf to the right of the toolbox. On the right side, below my router I have a small craftsman storage container I will attach a dust deputy to. It takes up less horizontal space than a bucket.
I also mounted a powerstrip discretely under the bench on the rear of the table. I have an external on/off switch I may mount on the front side. I can get another switch that will turn the vacuum on when the router is turned on. This is a little way down the line, I have to get to some other stuff first. I will post pics when I wrap it up.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Very nice...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Nice job and that`s not overkill at all. I laminated 2 x 4s together for my bench.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Great start!! Now we need some pics with dust on it ------ and I mean sawdust!!

Reactions: bhethcote

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Here is what I use for my cnc router. Rigid 6.5 Vac with Rockler Vortex Separator, works great. Since this picture, I've made some adapters from 2" pvc and connected the vac intake to the vortex with long sweep elbows for better air flow. I also have another one with a Dust Deputy on top.

Nice work on the bench top!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Very nice project. One I need to consider for an old tool cart as well.
Keep up the good work and posts.

·
Registered
Paul
1,954 Posts
Garrett, that looks far too nice to work on... lend it to me for a while and I'll break it in for you. ;)

·
Registered
Mike
3,788 Posts
Garrett that is a nice workbench top you built there. Incorporating the router into the table does save you a lot of space in your shop and the T-tracks let you do all kinds of creative clamping plus they give you a way to hold a fence for your router.

Depression is a hard thing to overcome but it looks like you are doing a good job now of overcoming it. It also helps to interact with your friend with your common interest in woodworking.

When you get up and running I'd like to see some more of your projects, especially shop projects that save space in your small shop, they may help other people that have limited space.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Garrett,

That's a solid good looking set up.

Chuck,
That's how I built my workbench also, then covered it with a sheet of 1/4'' hardboard that I am almost due to change.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can get another switch that will turn the vacuum on when the router is turned on.
Hey Garrett,

Really nice-looking work on that top - I really like it. You could also try one of those little remote activators for the vacuum as well. I've been thinking about picking one and seeing how I like it.

BH

1 - 20 of 39 Posts