Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple enough project, a glue gun holder for my wife's sister.
The first branch...this thing is so much nicer than the one I made my wife that I decided there should be two of them.
The
Second branch... a trip to the store (20 miles one way) for a glass tumbler because I decided that would look a lot nicer than the wooden box that was originally going to hold the glue sticks.
The third branch... decided to make a template so they'd both have two recesses in the same place, and so that if someone else wants one I can make it quickly. This would be my first time making my own template. I could NOT get the pattern in the center of a board to save my soul and wasted two attempts. I finally got it today, but the circular recess came out too small by a hair. I put the tumbler through that pattern and drew around the rim to make the circle bigger. I figured I'd use the oscillating sander and sand out to the line, it being only an eight of an inch or so. Very quickly that led to
The fourth branch. Oscillating sanders make some serious dust so I decided I'd just take a few minutes and run a branch dc line from the CSMS, which was just a few feet away. THe "few minutes" ended up being over an hour because I completely redid the line to the CSMS and added the one to the sander, It does look a LOT better than the single line to the saw did, and doesn't block the cabinet door at all, where the original line did keep me from opening one door all the way.
There were other "twigs" along the way, as there always is, but the two bases are now routed and sanded.
I've learned a lot so far...
Still stuff to do, but here's the routed base. Those recesses are flat on the bottom though it's hard to see that. The round one is about a half inch deep, the rectangle is about a quarter inch.
gluegun.jpg

·
Registered
901 Posts
You told the story of my life. I love the idea of constant improvements, but I'm always improving my nest instead of actually building anything in it. It only got worse after I retired because I'm not under any time constraints.

But it was even more maddening when I was a kid. My dad kept the oil changed in vehicles, but never did any other maintenance until something broke. And he never put anything away, so when the tire that he'd been airing up every morning for a week wouldn't hold air anymore, it was time to find the spare, which was also flat, and the jack, which was probably holding up the corner of the barn. Those experiences had a profound effect on me, because like you, I'll stop in the middle of a project to fix something that bugs me.

·
Super Moderator
David
3,568 Posts
My friends laugh at me saying I never finish any projects. But they also know I start 5 times as many as they do and finish at least 4 out of 5, so I figure I'm doing way more than them and the know that too. One day, though, I'd like to go back and finish those stragglers that never quite made it to completion... :wink:

David

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I finish all my projects, it's just a matter of when. I am still working on a Christmas present for my daughter. :frown:

·
Registered
Paul
1,856 Posts
Ken, I know what you're talking about. Sometimes I start at the roots though... Still not organized after moving, I go looking for some hardware or something but stumble upon something totally unrelated which can get me going in a whole new direction.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ken, I know what you're talking about. Sometimes I start at the roots though... Still not organized after moving, I go looking for some hardware or something but stumble upon something totally unrelated which can get me going in a whole new direction.
Yep, that too. I moved here two years ago and started putting my shop together in the spring. As I needed something and/or found it I would put it somewhere...and then not find it again for a while. I got some old kitchen cabinets and put them in...some solid core doors cut to make countertop/workbenches and I had a shop where I could put stuff in its place and find it again. Yeah, not so much...everything ended up on the countertop or on one of the two or three folding tables.

A month or so ago I decided that my shop would become more organized and safer. Now, a really organized person could have finished it all in a week I think, but I'm still going in starts and stops. While working on a project the short folding ladder kept getting moved, so I stopped and made a place for it to hang. The drill press (little table top model) kept getting pushed side to side...so I stopped and made it a real home. I needed to hold the template I was working on, so I stopped and made a vice. The sanding job I was doing yesterday made too much floating dust, so I stopped and redid my dc piping. THat sort of thing is the branches I refer to, or the squirrels.

Someday maybe if I can get myself more disciplined (my wife almost gave herself an asthma attack just thinking about that one, she laughed so hard) my shop will be at a point where there are fewer branches. I can hope, right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts