Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for an administrative assistant in a local school and I have been wanting to use some of my veneers so this looked like a good project for that. Madrone Burl on Maple, 12" x 3" by 7/8" thick, finished in Nitrocellulose lacquer. I didn't try to fill the pores - one coat of sealer, one coat of semi-gloss.

Front and outside profile designed in CorelDraw, exported to Fusion 360, engraved with 0.25" 60° Amana bit, profile cut with 0.25" Whiteside compression bit. Back designed in Carveco and engraved with the same 60° bit.

Cut veneer to fit oversize Maple blank -
001 - Name sign - cutting Madrone Burl veneer.JPG

Glued veneer with TB I and pressed in my veneer press -
002 - Name sign in veneer press.JPG

On the CNC -
003 - Name sign - on CNC.JPG

Madrone Burl veneer on Maple -
004 - Name sign, Madrone Burl veneer on Maple.JPG

I am very pleased at how clean this came out! This was one pass on the CNC.
005 - Name sign, Madrone Burl veneer on Maple, close up.JPG

Back side -
006 - Name sign - back side.JPG

Enjoy!
David

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good job David, especially using Fusion360. I've played with it, but there's a learning curve!

Reactions: difalkner

·
Official Greeter
8,154 Posts
Really nice.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
You couldn't get a nicer desk sign.Perfect David.

James jj777746

·
Super Moderator
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Guys! I saw that font on something Mike ( @MT Stringer ) did a while back; it's Mechanic of the Heart.

To use it like this, though, I had to edit the font in CorelDraw because the letters overlap in places and it won't make a good carving. For instance, the top right of the 'M' and the loop on the 'r' cross over each other and while it looks fine for documents it's not so good on carvings, or at least I don't think it would look as good.

David

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
To use it like this, though, I had to edit the font in CorelDraw because the letters overlap in places and it won't make a good carving. For instance, the top right of the 'M' and the loop on the 'r' cross over each other and while it looks fine for documents it's not so good on carvings, or at least I don't think it would look as good.

David
Bravo!

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Nice little project and a good reason to use some of your Veneer. I still like that press you made from the old planner.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
It's a beauty, David. The lines along the top looked like highlights on a curve - very effective.

·
Super Moderator
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a beauty, David. The lines along the top looked like highlights on a curve - very effective.
Thanks, Paul. It looked like it needed something so I added those and she liked it.

David

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Thanks, Guys! I saw that font on something Mike ( @MT Stringer ) did a while back; it's Mechanic of the Heart.

David
It looks like the veneer press is working out fine for you, that was a good reuse of the old planer. Do you find that it restricts you any to the size of the project?

HErb

·
Super Moderator
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, Herb, it works well but is limited to the space of the platens and the guide columns. But that's ok because I rarely do large inlay or projects. The height is surprising, though. I don't recall exactly how high it will go but it's got to be close to 6" if you crank it all the way up.

David

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Yes, Herb, it works well but is limited to the space of the platens and the guide columns. But that's ok because I rarely do large inlay or projects. The height is surprising, though. I don't recall exactly how high it will go but it's got to be close to 6" if you crank it all the way up.

David
That might be great for veneering a jewelry box after it was built....
Just thinking,
HErb

·
Super Moderator
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It would probably be better to veneer the panel for the lid prior to attaching it to the box. This press stands a chance of collapsing a jewelry box and depending on how the box and lid were made maybe not get good pressure in the middle area of the lid, only around the perimeter.

David

1 - 20 of 20 Posts