Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I do a lot of metalworking at work, I've learned early on to never use my hand to sweep away the debris from my work area (metal shavings can be sharp or hot). I try to do the same at home, and yesterday was a good justification. Cleaning up after using a large pattern bit, my brush caught the edge of the cutter (the router was off) and the cutter was sharp enough to take a nick out of it. Even when the power is off, cutters can get ya.

Just some food for thought,

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Doug same thing happened to me just by pulling a router bit out of it package. Grabbed a straight bit the right way and had two nice slits on the fingers I learned my lesson. But for cleaning up part bought nice brush with a good long handle to keep me away from the routertable after I'd unplug it of coarse. :eek:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was trimming some laminate on a counter top. I let a finger drop below the router base and........it didn't hurt.......but the blood on the floor was scary. I was afraid to look. Fortunately I just trimmed a finger nail...real close.....no permanent damage but a lesson well learned.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I recently found out the hard way that the edges of fresh cut oak boards is very sharp. I was checking them out after cutting them on my table saw and later found that I had several little cuts on my fingers.

Lesson learned is that hard wood or just about any wood can have very sharp edges just like a knife. :eek:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Another 'lesson for the archives'. Don't get lazy and decide to rub some wax on the router tabletop without lowering the bit below the table.

Split a fingernail to the quick by forgetting to do that myself.

Not fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.