Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I thought I would show you all a neat little tool. This is a mini-biscuit joiner. I have a full sized biscuit joiner and never use it. This one I bought on the advise of another box maker about a year ago. I know it's a craftsman piece and this is made by ITT/Ryobi ( they used to make one identical in the blue and yellow colors) but it's a neat little tool. I use this thing to attach knobs and pulls etc. on boxes, have joint corners on little boxes with it etc. Pretty handy little tool in my opinion and they have 3 sizes of little mini biscuits. Just thought I would share this little tool.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...ortable+Power+Tools&subcat=Jointers+&+Planers

Corey

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Corey, Amen on the mini-biscuit joiner! I have both sizes (both Ryobi) and though I use the full size one most there are times when nothing but the mini will get it done. Amazingly strong joints on small work pieces.

·
2,392 Posts
challagan said:
Corey,

Thank you for the post, etc.!!

That is more of what I wished I had many times... and best of all, it looks SO EASY to adjust!!

I was really surprised with the Depth of Cut range of 1/16" - 3/16" !!
That is really small isn't it? Perfect for smaller pieces... like even Pulls! :D

The only think I had a problem with is there was no mention of the type of biscuits it used, size, or what could be ordered for this equipment!!
Under options, in left column, not directly linked to this item, they had some R1 biscuits... OK, fine, it's an R1!! What the heck is an R1?? When no specs with the equipment listing, I wouldn't know a R0,1,2,3,4,5 from shinola!
Very poor writeup... IMHO.

How did you find out what kind of biscuit(s) to use?
More than one size available? What are they?? ETC... ???

Did you get the extended warranty for $10.50?

Thank you again! I think you've found a nice tool to have that solves all kinds of little connections, joints, etc.

Hey, I noticed that it didn't have any Reviews yet... possible for you to write a review?

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi Joe, they aren't very common and I think basically only one person that I have seen makes them and that is Wolcraft, which is a maker of wood related craft items. They also make dowells, wood plugs for screw holes etc. I buy them at Sears Joe and best if you stop buy and see the sizes and yes the smallest ones are very tiny indeed. Yes, 3 sizes are available but it is hard to describe the size. I was in Sears last night and saw them again ... they had buiscuits but no mini joiner. They were selling the damn biscuits for 6.00 a bag!

I forgot about this post as It seemed I was the only one that liked my little tool. :D I love it!! I got this tip a year and ahalf ago from an excellent box maker that used it alot so I grabbed one. I use it alot for pulls in fact every box that I have made if it has a pull or a knob on it, it was attached using it.

Corey

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Yep ole buddy.... that is probably the next tool on my list as you well know. Just gotta figure how much crow I can digest if I break my Sears embargo/boycott from 30 something years ago :D :eek: :'(

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Joe, how is this:

P.S. if you read my post in the Hold Down the Mice.. thread... that is the material BJ is referring to and ultimately led to me trying to carve up my finger :D

And lastly, for our friend Harry down under, I am wondering what these photos look like on your screen. They were taken then modified to 640 X 480 and then uploaded to Photosite.

Corey

·
2,392 Posts
Bob N said:
Joe,

The link Corey has in his OP will put you on the money :D
Yep... Looks like I found THEM...

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...=Jointer,+Planer,+&+Shaper&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...=Jointer,+Planer,+&+Shaper&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

I gotta hand it to Sears... they show you a picture of three different items... sold in 100 pc and 90 pc groups both for the same price!

Guess what the Specs. are??
OOOOoooo.... The Shape is Oval!! Whoopee...

The also state the following description:
"Expands when used with water based glue for extra strong joints. Ideal for furniture, cabinet, trim and special woodworking projects."
I wonder what would happen with Yellow glue? Sounds like they think "expand" is good!?

What about SIZE? y'know... some little meaningless bit of information!

Who is going to buy 90 for the same price he can get them for 100?!

If they show a pic. of 3 items, why don't they tell you what the hhhhh you are buying?! Just 1, or an assortment of 3?

There must be a difference between the 90 pkg & the 100 pkg... Yes?

I wish their employees would get back ON the turnip truck... it wasn't their time to get off! :) :D

I guess I could call the nearest store, ask for the portable power tool dept. and ask them if they could give more information about the Wolfcraft Wood Joining Mini Biscuits... Sears item #00929096000 Mfr. model #2997404...?
I wonder if they would know what I'm talking about?
I just might do that... to see what happens... They have them in stock!! :D

I don't think I'm still on the turnip truck!!
... am I? :) :D

·
2,392 Posts
challagan said:
Joe, how is this:

P.S. if you read my post in the Hold Down the Mice.. thread... that is the material BJ is referring to and ultimately led to me trying to carve up my finger :D

And lastly, for our friend Harry down under, I am wondering what these photos look like on your screen. They were taken then modified to 640 X 480 and then uploaded to Photosite.

Corey
Yes, I saw where you got cut! 3/16" off!.. That's a real shame... you must been in a hurry! Could you ever get it glued / sewn / taped back on?

Haven't seen Harry's pics you're talking about... will look around... have had a slight medical problem since last Fri & haven't been on as much as normal... feeling better now... have to play ketchup... :D

Thank you... That made a lot of sense!! Now, why couldn't Sears have described the R1, R2, & R3??

What size do you use the most of?

Thank you... that was a huge help! ... I can stay off the turnip truck! :D

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Joe, see my post above with photos. I think it answers your questions. The largest size has 90 in the bag, the 2 smaller sizes have 100. Also I think you can see the item #'s to use as well.

Corey

Never Mind I see you found it...:) I was in a hurry or at least hurrying.... the race was about to start :) plus my eyes aren't great anymore.. another reason to be careful. Maybe on the sew on but probably not worth my time or theirs or the insurance companies money.... and it was in the garbage with the bloody paper towells :)

Probably the R2 and R3... rarely use the tiny ones Joe.

With regards to the photos and Harry, I was referring to his monitor problem with larger photos so I was asking how those I posted look on his monitor.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Corey the photos were fine, it would appear that Mark has solved the problem that was causing me so much frustration. As for the mini biscuit jointer, the first time that I see one down under it will be added to my tool collection. When will you youngsters learn that sharp tools are dangerous! I hope you're finger heals fast.

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Joe,

Another place to find the mini biscuits is on eBay. I have seen them listed there several times.

I'm thinking serious of pulling the trigger on this tool based on everything Corey has told me about it. I hope to file the serial number, remove the Craftsman name and painting it DW yellow, so no one will know I gave Sears any of my money. Think it will work?
:D :D :D

·
2,392 Posts
Bob N said:
Joe,

Another place to find the mini biscuits is on eBay. I have seen them listed there several times.

I'm thinking serious of pulling the trigger on this tool based on everything Corey has told me about it. I hope to file the serial number, remove the Craftsman name and painting it DW yellow, so no one will know I gave Sears any of my money. Think it will work?
:D :D :D
Bob N,

Thank you for tip... Until now, I wouldn't have known what to search for or recognize it if I saw it... I find eBay a very good source to Search-before-buying before paying a lot more elsewhere.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on this one too...

I guess you had a bad experience with Craftsman / Sears tools some time ago? Sears is a very good company... they have always done me GOOD if I ever had problems with anything (which has not been very often).

... I wonder if the equipment is on eBay too?! :)
... that could be a bad sign... (?)
EDIT: I found only ONE on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CRAFTSMAN-3-5-A...ryZ11704QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
$9.99 with 1 day 6 hrs. to end of auction... Seller is not squeaky clean... Pic looks incomplete... would not chance it...

Later...

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Joe, my understanding of biscuit jointing is that the biscuits are made from Beech which expands when wetted by the glue and so produces a tight fitting joint.

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A couple things about Craftsman....This model is made by Ryobi or it's parent company ITT which also makes other tools for Craftsman. I have owned many Craftsman items over the years. Some were good some were not. My first table saw was a Craftsman 8 inch benchtop. At that time you couldn't find a 10 inch bench top. I used the hell out of that 129.00 saw.. and just plain wore it out! I also had several Ryobi made routers of which I still have one - the 1 1/2 horse and it still works well. Bad experiences have been.... floor model 15 inch drill press, motor siezed after about 10 years with very light use. I replaced it with a Craftsman benchtop cause I didn't want to spend a bunch at the time, It's a piece of crap that doesn't drill straight and deflects alot. Deals me fits on pen barrels. Still have a Craftsman corded 3/8 drill that works good, and a sander or two and a nice reciprocating saw as well. Sears is a crap shoot.... some good and some bad, but let's face it... if it wasn't for Sears alot of us just never would have gotten into woodworking if we would of had to buy top of the line tools from the get go.

As far as this unit.... I don't expect that sales were high enough to warrant Ryobi having the same model available. This is no hi-tec piece of equipment... simple tool that does a simple job. I have found it to be a good tool and reliable to date, just as the person that turned me on to it. Hopefully if you get one it will do well for you guys. One thing if any of you get a line on a replacement blade let me know. I would like to get a couple in reserve :)

Corey

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.