Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out my son-in-law's 12 year old circular saw (corded) died on him last week end. Just so happens his birthday is next week - funny how that works.

For just doing work around the house do I get him corded or battery?
Battery would have to be a Dewalt 6 1/2" 18v since he has a few Dewalt's with batteries and charger. Corded could be most anything - and would be a 7 1/4".

Any ideas?

HJ

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
for circs I'm a big fan of Milwaukee...smooth, power, adjustable handle...

Suspicious timing ?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
My first circular saw was a Montgomery Wards special (relegated to cutting blocks with abrasive disc until it died). I replaced it with a Rockwell which I thought was a really great saw (as apparently did the person who stole it). Replaced that with a Porter Cable which does a great job breaking down plywood using a straightedge and Oldham blade (can't say enough good about that blade). I now have a Makita 7-1/4" set up to use as a track saw and also a Milwaukee which I use on a different brand of track. Of the three, the Milwaukee runs the quietest and smoothest, and gives very clean cuts on plywood if used with the appropriate blade (not had too much luck with the Diable thin kerf blades).

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Track saw :D
Jus kiddn ,
but geez I hate battery operated circular saws . Maybe because our company cheaped out and went with a crafsman . It was only 14v and it sure didn't cut much before it calved .
Hopefully these newer ones are better :(

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Kind of depends on what he's using it for, but if it is a conventional saw, I have and like my Makita. But mostly I use my 18v DeWalt. If I were buying a battery operated saw again, it would be a Bosch, but that brand choice is true for most replacement tools. The potability of the DC circ saw is a gigantic plus for me. Get one with a 20v battery, the new type, unless he already has some tools with another type, brand or voltage batteries. The advantage of the 7.5 circ saw is raw power and half an inch deeper cut. But I love working with the lighter and quite powerful 6.5 inch saw. I often break down sheet goods while still on the truck and for that, the battery operated saw is a delight. The blade is very narrow kerf, and it is really easy to keep straight on a simple straight edge jig.

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Since he has DeWalt 18v already, you could buy the "naked" version which comes without a battery. For Christmas, get him more batteries. If he likes cordless, he will appreciate the DeWalt. Nice machine.

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
BTW, a battery rebuild shop will let him keep using the 18v system for many years.

Further, I have trouble at my age handling an aggressive circular saw. Just too heavy. That and the fact I already had some 18v tools (jig and reciprocating saw), the DeWalt unit was an obvious choice. If I were beginning again, it would be Bosch, but that is not my situation.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Leaning towards a corded, since it's what he had and it'd be for around the house and garage - plenty of juice available.

Plus, it's cheaper.

HJ

Reactions: kp91

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
for circs I'm a big fan of Milwaukee...smooth, power, adjustable handle...

Suspicious timing ?
yup....
then Bosch...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Since he has DeWalt 18v already, you could buy the "naked" version which comes without a battery. For Christmas, get him more batteries. If he likes cordless, he will appreciate the DeWalt. Nice machine.
he'd like the Bosch cordless even more...

Reactions: DesertRatTom

·
Registered
749 Posts
I consider battery circular saws, light portable saws. I have a 28 volt Milwaukee circular saw. Since I have their sawzall and torque wrench which are 28 volt also. The sawzall works great but my circular saw can not keep up with my worm drive skill saw. The best thing I used my battery circular saw on was rebuilding my privacy fence. I have a large lot and it was nice not trying string extension cords out to the fence.

I vote corded.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well,

I found a Milwaukee corded 15 amp 7 1/4" Tilt-Lok for $129 - free 2 day shipping. Also comes with it's own plastic molded case (he's a neat nerd). Good enough for now. Maybe down the pike and he proves himself "worthy" and my daughter is still happy I'll spring for a little higher priced thing or two. Hell, he makes more than the wife and I combined times 2. He should pay me to get it for him. But, he's also "fiscally responsible" - so this should do it.

Thanx for the input.

HJ

·
Registered
Theo
6,939 Posts
corded... hands down.
Totally agree. My two sons use battery powered, but that's because they work on job sites with no electric power available. I have power available and go with corded, period. My first circular saw was a cheap B&D, bought in probably 1975. And I still have it, and still use it. Tough little bugger, just keeps going, and going. :smile:
Corded are less expensive to buy, are more powerful, don't need batteries charged, and don't have batteries that die. If I want non-corded, I have a couple of handsaws.

Reactions: swarfmaker

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Well,

I found a Milwaukee corded 15 amp 7 1/4" Tilt-Lok for $129 - free 2 day shipping. Also comes with it's own plastic molded case (he's a neat nerd). Good enough for now. Maybe down the pike and he proves himself "worthy" and my daughter is still happy I'll spring for a little higher priced thing or two. Hell, he makes more than the wife and I combined times 2. He should pay me to get it for him. But, he's also "fiscally responsible" - so this should do it.

Thanx for the input.

HJ
that saw won't need an upgrade...
it's a premium tool..

Reactions: honesttjohn

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanx, Stick!

Makes me feel better.

HJ

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: honesttjohn

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Milwaukee pretty much had the contractor's tool market sewed up at one time and still do very well in that market. They earned that position fair and square. I recently bought a Milwaukee 18v brushless drill/ impact combo and got a free circ saw with the deal. I didn't think I would use it that much but it's starting to prove me wrong. That little saw is a joy to use and has decent power.

Reactions: DesertRatTom
1 - 20 of 53 Posts