Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi From Melbourne Australia,

My old router burnt out and I wanted to buy a Triton tra001, however I found out
they have been discontinued, this is taken from an Australian woodwork shop called Timbecon:

'router has been discontinued by current distributor and will be made available once it comes back to Australia - so at this stage the only item we are able to supply is the pre-drilled mounting plate.'

The other router I have looked at is the Makita RP2301FC but have heard that its
not that great as a mounted table router?. So basically I'm stumped as what to buy. I want a plunge router that will play nicely in & out of the table & have about $600 budget.

Hopefully you fine people can help.

Sam.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Hello Sam, welcome to the forums...
We're happy you found us...

Reactions: Sam-Something

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
@Sam-Something

I'm not up to speed what you have for equipment down under but do not fear, there are numerous members in your neck of woods that are quite knowledgeable and may be able to help...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Thanks for the information and friendly welcome, something which is lacking in alot of forums nowa days.
if you have other questions about routering...
this we can do...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Sam...

Sorry to hear you're having problems getting the Triton...is Timbecon the only distributor for Triton...?

BTW...you might already know that using a plunge router in the table might require removing the plunge spring...this makes it tough to use for both table and freehand as it would require removing and re-installing the spring.

You might consider a small router for your freehand work, depending on how big the task, of course...

I'm sure your fellow countrymen will be along shortly with better advice...

Best of luck...

·
Registered
21,694 Posts
Hi Sam, and welcome. I have the Triton, and it's a great table machine, but for me it is far too top heavy to use freehand. Triton, like some other companies, has had problems finding a good distributor here in America, so it's no surprise. I would contact Triton's website and inquire whether they know where you can get one in OZ. I bet there are more than a few still on shelves, or that it will be available before long.

I keep my TRA001 in the table only and use another router for freehand use. If I were younger and stronger, I could probably manage it freehand. If cutting dados or rabbets, using an edge guide or exact fit dado jig, I can manage the Triton just fine, but I happen to have kept my Bosch 1617 which used to live in my table. My Triton came with the edge guide.

When you remove the spring from your Triton, make sure you put it in a safe spot because you will have to reinsert it (easy) to use the plunge function.

Makita has a pretty good reputation down under so it is a possibility, I just don't know the model numbers for Australia.

Don't know if you already have an exact width dado jig, so here's a drawing.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome Sam. The only 2 routers I remember seeing used by our members down under were are the Makitas and Tritons. If you can find a Hitachi M12V2 for your power system you might try it. That is probably not the right model number for you as that is the 110 volt model for us I think. Yours might be a Km12V2 or something similar. It is already discontinued too but it is a splendid plunge and table model with above table adjustment capability. I understand that the newer and current VE model is not so. I also have the even older M12V and it was okay as a plunge and table router but lacked the above table adjustability.

Something you may want to keep in mind is that your table router works fine with the insert plate still attached when you want to use it out of the table. It just robs a little of cut depth but gives a much more stable base to sit on. You don't need to lock the router down into a table top. Gravity works just fine and while you are routing you are pressing down on it anyway.

·
Registered
Steve
1,900 Posts
Hi Sam

Okay, well from an Australian perspective (bearing in mind I'm a Kiwi living here), here's my Australian router experience thus far based on what I've purchased:
Ryobi RRT1600 - good plunge router, 1600W, soft start, variable speed - not router-table suitable due to unable to lock trigger on
Makita M3600G - plunge router also, but fine in a table, 1650W, but no variable speed. Trigger lock on makes it table suitable, and so far hasn't given me trouble

Timbecon have a store in Melbourne, so that might be a good place to go for advice on what some of the folks there are using (and if you're lucky maybe run into Patrick Holcombe).

·
Registered
452 Posts
Welcome Sam

Have a look at the Bosch GOF1600 CE $599 at Total Tools.

Description & Specification
Description
Features

Micro-fine depth adjustment for easy and precise adjustment at any plunge setting
Trigger switch located on handle for enhanced control
Easily removed motor body with possibility to fit to fixed base (sold separately)
Variable and constant speed electronic control system for various applications
Powerful 1600 watt motor with Constant Electronic and Softstart for material-specific working
LED illumination of the work surface for precise working, and transparent sub-base
Patented fine adjustment for precise adjustment of the routing depth in 1/10-mm steps when plunge function is locked
Spindle lock and flat housing cover for fast router bit changes and easy adjustment work
Reinforced column holder in the base plate for an absolutely precise plunge-cutting function

Specifications

Bit holder 8 - 12,7 mm
No-load speed 10000 - 25000 rpm
Maximum router cage stroke 76 mm
Rated power input 1,600 W
Weight 5.8 kg

Includes

Dust extraction adapter for plunge-cutting router
Open-ended spanner

Specifications
Specification
Part No 0601624040
Barcode 3165140486668
Corded / Cordless Corded
Rated Power (w) 1600
No Load Speed (RPM) 10000-25000
Brand Bosch
Warranty 6 Year
Product Length (mm) 340
Product Width (mm) 335
Product Height (mm) 235
Delivery & Returns

·
Registered
72 Posts
G'day Sam. If you can score a Triton, it is worth having.
Plastering Supplies of Narre Warren have one on Ebay for $459 with free delivery (handy in these Covid times); and Robsons Tool King of Kelso NSW have one for $480 (plus delivery I presume).
There are a lot of distributors eg Carbatec, so I suspect they are in short supply due to Covid manufacturing / distribution issues.
Enjoy your routing journey.
Cheers
Greg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Plastering Supplies of Narre Warren have one on Ebay for $459 with free delivery
I tried finding it on ebay but had no luck so I phoned and they said theres non available in Australia!?.

Robsons Tool King of Kelso NSW have one for $480 (plus delivery I presume).
I phoned these guys aswell and got the same answer...

·
Registered
Steve
1,900 Posts
G'day, This is actually one I've looked at but not sure which one between this and the Makita 2100W Plunge Router RP2301FC would be suited in the table?.
Make sure you can lock the trigger on - if you cannot, it won't be as suitable for a table.
I couldn't see anything on the Total Tools site that indicated it was lockable, lookingf at the Bosch site :https://www.bosch-pt.com.au/au/en/products/gof-1600-ce-0601624040

It looks like a trigger only, not lockable. This would not help you in a table.

I would recommend the Makita. It locks on, so is good for table usage, and I've found my Makita to be a solid performer.
https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/RP2301FC

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.