Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a 48"x21"x16" blanket chest and want to make dovetails along the 21" joints. My router bits have a 1/2" shank and need to cut through 7/8" thick maple wood. The spacing between cuts maybe variable or fixed.

What cheap dovetail jig would you suggest? This will be the only dovetail work for me so cheaper the better.

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Sommerfeld's Tools for Wood - Dovetails Made Easy with Marc Sommerfeld - Part 1 - YouTube
Sommerfeld's Tools for Wood - Dovetails Made Easy with Marc Sommerfeld - Part 2 - YouTube

===

I'm making a 48"x21"x16" blanket chest and want to make dovetails along the 21" joints. My router bits have a 1/2" shank and need to cut through 7/8" thick maple wood. The spacing between cuts maybe variable or fixed.

What cheap dovetail jig would you suggest? This will be the only dovetail work for me so cheaper the better.

Thanks,
Phil

·
Official Greeter
19,737 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Porter Cable's 4216 jig is maxed at 12", but the templates can be board mounted and moved to make dovetails as wide as you want. Seems like MLCS templates are similar, but may be limited to half-blind as i recall.

earl

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

Thanks,
Phil
here ya go...

Leigh D4R Pro Dovetail Jig and Box Joint Jig

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
19,737 Posts
What cheap dovetail jig would you suggest? This will be the only dovetail work for me so cheaper the better
here ya go...

Leigh D4R Pro Dovetail Jig and Box Joint Jig

Are you suggesting a $599 jig is cheap?

·
Registered
802 Posts

Thanks,
Phil
No luck on 1/2 in bits, but cheap and any width can be done on this jig. Hope this helps. Its for darn sure real cheap, even cheaper on Amazon ($39.97). I did not watch all the videos but what I did watch was interesting. I think all you would need is a 1/4 collet for your router. I would definitely test on scrap before putting to good wood.
Edit: MLCS does have 1/2 inch shank dovetail bits, I overlooked them before.

Forgot to post link, duh.

http://www.generaltools.com/-860--EZ-Pro-Dovetail-Jig_p_1236.html

http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...59880183&sr=1-1&keywords=general+dovetail+jig

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bit_dovetail.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.