Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have built a 12" x 17" cutting board. Now I would like to put an oval groove on one side so when cutting meat, the juice will not drip on the floor and I would have to clean it up. What is the best and easiest way to do this task? Table or hand router? Also what type of bit can I use?
thanks for all advice.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi Alan,

What material is the cutting board made of?

Mike

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I have built a 12" x 17" cutting board. Now I would like to put an oval groove on one side so when cutting meat, the juice will not drip on the floor and I would have to clean it up. What is the best and easiest way to do this task? Table or hand router? Also what type of bit can I use?
thanks for all advice.
Hi Alan - I think my weapon of choice here would be a bowl bit and an edge guide on the router. Could also be done on the table with start and stop blocks, assuming you didn't want the groove to run off the edge. Another method would be skiis but they would be more involved to set up, at least the way I have things arranged.:)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

Go to your scroll saw and make a oval slot template, stick it to your cutting board and use a bull nose bit and put the slot in place..

======
thanks for all advice.

·
Registered
337 Posts
board made from maple and cherry.
Hi Alan,

Since you mentioned cutting meat, I thought it would be a material other than wood, which could mean needing a specialty bit.

Mike

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
You can build a frame around the cutting board using spacers between the cutting board and the frame to locate the groove the desired distance in from the edge. The spacers need to sit at the same height as the cutting board to keep the router from tipping. Anchor the frame to a piece of ply or mdf and make sure there is no play between the board, spacers, and frame. Feed the router from left to right (clockwise) and don't try to feed too fast. Pick a round nose or core box bit of the appropriate diameter, they are some of the cheapest bits normally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts