Router Forums banner

Need Craftsman Part ? HELP!

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Rube 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm Erin, and my significant other is one of those great guys who uses my garage space to store many board feet of lumber :) Anyway, He has a Craftsman 12 1/2" planer, model 351.233731 and apparently he's lost an "adjusting tool" for the blades, the one that he described to me that "measures the distance the blades come out from the round shaft". He could be speaking French at this point. The most I know about wood is he makes really pretty stuff out of it. What I need to know is... how do I find him one of these "adjusting tools", please?

I don't know if this site will send me emails regarding any responses... :help:

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum, Erin.

I also have a "clone"12.5" planer and it also comes with a blade setting tool.

See part #12 in the attached manual.

Does he have a manual for his planer?

Attachments

#4 ·
get planer pals instead

Don't even mess with trying to find what you're talking about. Order a set of these Planer Pals from Amazon, and be done with it. These have magnets on them that stick onto the head of the planer, and then another set of magnets that pull the blade up to the correct height and hold it there while you tighten the gib screws. Give you nearly perfect alignment and both blades will be exactly alike. Piece of cake to use.

Here's the link. http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-W1226-Mini-Planer-Pal-Pair/dp/B0000DD1VL/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1342615247&sr=1-1&keywords=planer+pal

#5 ·
#6 ·
About three years ago I put two rows of three small rare earth magnets each on my out feed table of my joiner. I put a dollop of epoxy on top of each one. I laid a bar across each group of three magnets. When dry, I can now slide it out over the blades and it will hold each blade at exactly the same height as the out feed table, and in exact alignment with the other blades. I would imagine if the same arrangement could be made with two magnets toward the ends of the bar and a center magnet near the middle on the opposite side, the planer blades could be set accurately.
Any comments?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.