Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Bosch RA1171 router table and have been using it for moldings and cabinet doors. (stiles and rails)
Now I need to route a 1/2 slot in a piece of 6 in wide plywood. The fence doesn't go back enough to put the slot in the middle of the piece. Is this table too small to handle wider stock? Should I remove the fence and clamp a straight edge to the back of the box? There's just enough room to do this.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have a Bosch RA1171 router table and have been using it for moldings and cabinet doors. (stiles and rails)
Now I need to route a 1/2 slot in a piece of 6 in wide plywood. The fence doesn't go back enough to put the slot in the middle of the piece. Is this table too small to handle wider stock? Should I remove the fence and clamp a straight edge to the back of the box? There's just enough room to do this.
Yes, just clamp a straightedge where ever you can. Is your table longer than it is wide? You may be able to clamp a straightedge (or your fence) across one end of your table and move the work 90 degrees to its normal feed direction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.
That is a great idea, take the fence off and clamp a straightedge, front to back. I'll give that a try tomorrow.
Thanks again

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Im with Pat on this...hand route with an edge guide/straight edge...

If you clamp a fence on the table make sure the clamps are on square and tight so they dont loosen with the vibrations...

If youre clamping a piece of wood for a fence, use a piece that is not too tall...wider is better than taller...for example, 2x4 laid on its 4 side...

Welcome...

Reactions: ksidwy

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Wayne, you can build this simple but highly effective fence with dust collection. C clamps are best but F clamps will work. Do not use quick grip style clamps because they do not have enough holding power.

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,317 Posts
Welcome to the forum Wayne.

·
Premium Member
17,424 Posts
Sorry I don't have any advice , but welcome to the forum Wayne

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mike, I think that if you stick some fine sandpaper on the bottom of your fence, the friction between it and the table will be enough so that a quick (F) clamp will work fine. Well ... actually I know it. I've been doing that with a similar, homebuilt fence for a few years. It's so easy and flexible that I don't know where the original fence is - don't recall the last time I used it.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bill.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote: "Someone I consider a master woodworker once told me that a master woodworker is not someone who never makes mistakes. He is someone who is able to cover them up so that no one can tell."

At my current rate of making mistakes, I should be a master about this time next week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts