Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good quality 5/16" diameter flush trim cutter with bottom bearing on a 1/4" shank. I have looked at Freud, Amana, Whiteside, MLCS, Rockler, Infinity, and Amazon. I found a set of four (1/4", 5/16", 3/8", and 1/2") for as low as $6.99 for the set. Yes, the $6.99 is correct. Imagine the quality of these bits. The reviewers of some of these cheap sets show pictures of bent shafts; don't want to go down that path. The only quality 5/16" bit I found was a Freud with a top mounted 1/2" diameter top mounted bearing; I have made this bit work but it was not my first choice because of the mismatch between cutter and bearing diameters. I have no flexibility in the 5/16" diameter as i am cutting a slot for a guide bushing with 5/16" OD and 1/4" ID. Can
Cylinder Rectangle Office supplies Gas Font
Bicycle part Cylinder Auto part Metal Pipe
Hair Rectangle Wood Slope Office ruler

someone suggest a source that i have overlooked?

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
Most of the brand names you mentioned will have that size bit. Freud is usually my go to brand for simple bits. However, if you are cutting a 5/16th slot, using a template of some sort I presume, then I'd use a slightly smaller bit and make the cut in two passes. It will take very little wobble to mess up the cut, and a smaller cutter diameter will avoid that. Are you rough cutting the slot slightly undersized from two 5/16th drilled holes? If so I'd definitely use no more than a 1/4 inch bit with a 1/4 bearing.

If I were doing this, I'd more than likely use a table and measure and mark the start/stop points on the fence, and slowly drop the piece onto a conventional bit that was just a little longer than the thickness of the piece. No problem getting a perfect slot that way.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think if made my problem clear. The ultimate goal is to route a slot along a curved groove for string inlay. The dimensions of the inlay slot are 1/16" wide by 3/32" deep. The template to make this slot, the 5/16" OD trim bit (Freud 50-098) , and the 5/16" OD guide bushing for cutting the 1/16" by 3/32" groove for the string inlay is shown in the first photo. This template was routed full depth (1/4" stock) in a single pass using the master template shown in the original post.
Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire Audio equipment Cable

The holes at the two ends are 5/8" in diameter to accommodate the 1/2" OD bearing on the trim bit. Life would have been simpler if I could have found a good quality 5/16" diameter flush trim bit. The good quality bit manufacturers seem to jump from 1/4" to 3/8", skipping over the 5/16" size.
A cousin to the actual application is shown in the next photo.
Rectangle Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plywood

Instead of having cherry and maple meet along a curved interface, I want to have cherry on both sides but with maple string inlay along a curved line, simulating an interface.
I hope this clarifies the problem. I can accomplish the desired task with the Freud 50-098 bit but with having to jump through some additional hoops.

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood. Don't really have an answer for you. For inlay like that I have a router plane with a special double cutter that has adjustable width. You pull it along your pathway to cut the sides, then use a narrow cutter to clear it out for the inlay. Beautiful device, exquisite control.
Hand tool Wood Tool Gas Metalworking hand tool

The Veritas router plane

Font Wood Door Art Cylinder

The inlay kit.
May not be an answer to your question, but it's an elegant way to do inlays.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DesertRatTom: Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure how that would work when the string inlay is along a curved path instead of a straight path.

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
DesertRatTom: Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure how that would work when the string inlay is along a curved path instead of a straight path.
Works fine. Draw a pencil line set the depth of cut you want and use both hands to pull the inlay cutters along, Then put in the 1/8th chisel in and hollow it out. Really does a nice job on "vines". You have very good control of this tool using the two knobs. The sharpness if amazing. Watch your fingers. If you use only one cutter, you can make any width you want. It lets you control the depth of cut with precision.

I have to admit that I also just love to fondle this plane. It is a beautiful piece of gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am looking for a good quality 5/16" diameter flush trim cutter with bottom bearing on a 1/4" shank. I have looked at Freud, Amana, Whiteside, MLCS, Rockler, Infinity, and Amazon. I found a set of four (1/4", 5/16", 3/8", and 1/2") for as low as $6.99 for the set. Yes, the $6.99 is correct. Imagine the quality of these bits. The reviewers of some of these cheap sets show pictures of bent shafts; don't want to go down that path. The only quality 5/16" bit I found was a Freud with a top mounted 1/2" diameter top mounted bearing; I have made this bit work but it was not my first choice because of the mismatch between cutter and bearing diameters. I have no flexibility in the 5/16" diameter as i am cutting a slot for a guide bushing with 5/16" OD and 1/4" ID. Can View attachment 401693 View attachment 401694 View attachment 401695
I am looking for a good quality 5/16" diameter flush trim cutter with bottom bearing on a 1/4" shank. I have looked at Freud, Amana, Whiteside, MLCS, Rockler, Infinity, and Amazon. I found a set of four (1/4", 5/16", 3/8", and 1/2") for as low as $6.99 for the set. Yes, the $6.99 is correct. Imagine the quality of these bits. The reviewers of some of these cheap sets show pictures of bent shafts; don't want to go down that path. The only quality 5/16" bit I found was a Freud with a top mounted 1/2" diameter top mounted bearing; I have made this bit work but it was not my first choice because of the mismatch between cutter and bearing diameters. I have no flexibility in the 5/16" diameter as i am cutting a slot for a guide bushing with 5/16" OD and 1/4" ID. Can View attachment 401693 View attachment 401694 View attachment 401695
Have you checked out Magnate router bits? there quality is good, and there prices are for the most part NICE.
Magnate Carbide Tipped Router Bits

C.A.G.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you checked out Magnate router bits? there quality is good, and there prices are for the most part NICE.
Magnate Carbide Tipped Router Bits

C.A.G.
Thanks for the suggestion as I had never heard of this brand. I checked their web page for "Trim" and there does not appear to be any bits with a cutter diameter of 5/16". Their web site needs some reorganization from my user perspective. It appears as if they want you to read the entire description of each bit until you find the one that you want. If not for the "Find in Page" feature in my browser, i would still be reading descriptions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion as I had never heard of this brand. I checked their web page for "Trim" and there does not appear to be any bits with a cutter diameter of 5/16". Their web site needs some reorganization from my user perspective. It appears as if they want you to read the entire description of each bit until you find the one that you want. If not for the "Find in Page" feature in my browser, i would still be reading descriptions.
I am sorry, there new web site is not as easy to follow as it used to be. Overhang Trim Router Bits 2 Flute with Ball Bearing, Carbide Tipped They sell Amana bit with there own, They have nothing to hide with. there bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts