Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will regular wood glue work with composite boards? Lowes sells white composite trim boards 11 1/4 but need 22 1/2. Going to use for a sign.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Do you mean that Microlite (sp?)stuff, Gary?
I've glued scarf joints with that trim material with excellent results. (Don't ask why I needed to, OK?... ;) )

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Plastic or MDF???
Plastic...
PVC cement...

MDF
size w/ a thin layer of polyvinyl acetate or polyurethane-based glue...
Allow to dry until it’s only slightly sticky...
Apply a second thin coat....
Push the pieces together using a lot of strength..

Polystyrene...
PL300...

why not use Azek sheet instead..

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
The best results I've had with mdf and particularly particle board has been melamine glue. https://www.amazon.ca/Titebond-Mela...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B002NMJ4I2 What I've found using regular glues is that so much of the water carrier soaks into the particle matrix so fast that it winds up starving the joint for glue. The melamine glue doesn't soak in like that and the bond is very rubbery which allows it to flex a little without shattering the bond and bond area. It's a pretty strong bond. A few years back I was gluing some white birch boards to 5/8" melamine coated particle board for pullout cupboard drawers and after about 1/2 hour I realized I had made a measuring error. I split the 3/8" rabbet on a couple of the boards trying to pry them back apart.

·
Registered
39 Posts
yup I'm with Charles on this one too. I do a variety of things in the shop and have several different types of glue for many types of applications and with what you are describing the Melamine glue would be great.
So with that said I suggest you get a bottle of "ROO GLUE". You probably can get this in a lot of places but here in MN. we have a company called "Hardware Distributors LTD" that sells it. Great stuff.
Don't be shy using it, drys clear and can be removed from the surface relatively easy where you get the squeeze out. As Charles said it is strong! let us know how it goes.

Kind Regards,

Tim of ZWW&S

Reactions: roxanne562001

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I actually found 4' x 8' sheet of 1/2 pvc at Home depot. This is what I bought . Lowes had same thing but it was 3/8 very flexible would have to reinforced frame. Don't need glue. I will show a picture of sign I'm replacing. Still will need to glue some trim. Now it would be pvc. Will the glue used for schedule 40 pvc pipe work?

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Will the glue used for schedule 40 pipe work?
yup...
clean it 1st w/ acetone or lacquer thinner...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I know the stuff..
you are going to ''WIPE'' w/ your solvent before you cement... NOT wash...
and if you are going to paint use ure*thane-based paint for superior results....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts