Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As if I wasn't stressed enough today, while I was gone to buy some lumber, we had a power failure that lasted 3-4 minutes. My machine wasn't running, but the computer and the controller were running. I have been keeping them running so I wouldn't have to reset my x & y axis zero each time I change projects.

A few minutes ago, I finally got out in the shop and turned the PC on. It won't boot up. It stops the boot sequence and displays the following:

"Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS probotix-dekstop tty1
probotix-desktop login:"

I have no clue where to go from here. I typed in "admin" and it then prompted me for a password. Now I am stuck again.

I don't know if this is a big secret or what, but I could use some help with this login. Apparently the power failure screwed everything up. My wife said she heard a boom. Later we saw a couple of bucket truck working down the street about 2 blocks away so I figure a transformer blew in the neighborhood.:frown:

EDIT: I called Probotix but they are gone for the day (weekend).

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so far I have managed to change directories. I am in the linuxcnc\configsys directory "ls" displays the files. There is only one and it is in Blue. I guess that is an executable...PROBOTIX

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not really. startx generated some action, and some errors and then it said "closing log, giving up"! ROFL!

When I rebooted, it came back up to the log in screen. but logging in still got me no further than to the command line.

Looks like I will be down until I can talk to Len or one of his guys.

Thank goodness, the machine wasn't carving anything.
Mike

·
Registered
21,686 Posts
We get short blackouts fairly often here, so all my desktops are on uninterruptable power supplies. Didn't buy the cheapest ones so I get 15 minutes or more of operation to shut down if needed, but usually the power comes up very quickly. No help on the boot up, but I haven't had a crash in years.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I leave my computer on all the time too. Will shut the controller off. Also leave my main desktop in the office on all the time too. It's been on for 7 years.

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
After reading this Mike, if I ever get one, I may be inclined to put a UPS on the computer and controller .
I never would have thought a power outage could cause such a dang headache .

To think we threw some UPS units away from work as we were updating equipment:(

·
Registered
501 Posts
After reading this Mike, if I ever get one, I may be inclined to put a UPS on the computer and controller .
I never would have thought a power outage could cause such a dang headache .

To think we threw some UPS units away from work as we were updating equipment:(
Have to have a pretty good UPS system if you plan on using on the controller too. Some of the machines run a 220V 3phase spindle which probably isn't feasible. Even for a 120V router.. For the PC itself, yes, but if power goes out while running the machine, that's a whole other problem.

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Have to have a pretty good UPS system if you plan on using on the controller too. Some of the machines run a 220V 3phase spindle which probably isn't feasible. Even for a 120V router.. For the PC itself, yes, but if power goes out while running the machine, that's a whole other problem.
I was wondering the same thing , if your providing power for the controller, your providing power for the router?

In my case I would use a spindle . So I could dedicate the UPS to the computer and controller , and not the VDF .
But if the power went out , the spindle wouldn’t be rotating , which would create another issue , and a bad one at that. Well unless there’s a way to tell the system to pause till the mainline powers restored

·
Registered
501 Posts
I was wondering the same thing , if your providing power for the controller, your providing power for the router?

In my case I would use a spindle . So I could dedicate the UPS to the computer and controller , and not the VDF .
But if the power went out , the spindle wouldn’t be rotating , which would create another issue , and a bad one at that. Well unless there’s a way to tell the system to pause till the mainline powers restored
On the Probotix machines that use a 120V router, you have an internal relay in their controller, but you have to supply it with external power from another source (just for the router). If using a 220V spindle, then you only get start/stop and speed reference from the Probotix controller, so your 220V source is totally separate.

So if you want to keep everything running during a power outage, it could be more complicated than a simple UPS.

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
On the Probotix machines that use a 120V router, you have an internal relay in their controller, but you have to supply it with external power from another source (just for the router). If using a 220V spindle, then you only get start/stop and speed reference from the Probotix controller, so your 220V source is totally separate.

So if you want to keep everything running during a power outage, it could be more complicated than a simple UPS.
This could be very problematic in our area, as were plagued with brown outs. And it’s not out of the question for a bird to land on the primary next to a pole with its wings spread out , shorting out the grid and blowing a fuse

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.