Router Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I was confronted with a compound pattern that had a 3" profile, I made a cardboard pattern of the profile and sent it to a specialty house in Los Angeles. They sent me a router bit, 3" long of solide carbide of the exact profile I sent them. I suggest you do that. I made the arrangement through a local sharpening service, so I don't know the name of the company. I'm sure that some detective work would reveal its name.

A propos duplicating an unusual profile, a woman came to me with an antique grandfather's clock whose molding had broken off. It was a double bead with a flat section in-between the beads and curved to follow the curve of the clock: nothing that could be cut with a machine. So I researched the problem on the web and made a scratch cutter made from an old saw blade and some wood scraps that held the scratch awl (I believe that was the term). It worked very well.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.