Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a re-post but the forum kicked me out.

I need help locating the pic showing the correct way to route on a table top doing inside a template.

I found the one for hand-held but need the one for table top.

I know it's just the opposite. But it'll be clearer if he doesn't have to juggle it in his brain. And I can print it & post it in the shop

Thks

smitty

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
The easy way to remember, for me, when using a table top is to keep the bit to the right of the material/template and feed right to left

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@stick

got them----but the picture shows a hand held --and the "discussion" with the other party was for table use.

Somewhere (I believe it was you) there was a post (years ago) showing both hand held & table top.

I'm diligently searching my library of books and the web but so far no joy.

I was just hoping that someone had it on their fingertips---so I don't go completely nuts looking for it

where are Pat Warners archives when you need them?? Maybe we should resurrect him!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sorry if this is a re-post but the forum kicked me out.

I need help locating the pic showing the correct way to route on a table top doing inside a template.

I found the one for hand-held but need the one for table top.

I know it's just the opposite. But it'll be clearer if he doesn't have to juggle it in his brain. And I can print it & post it in the shop

Thks

smitty
Save the pictures published in link below. Add big arrows yourself by editing with PAINT software.
https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/understanding-router-feed-direction

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@reuelt

got the link but no pics load

will try another computer in case I've set something on this one that's causing it to misbehave.

thks

smitty

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
smitty: see my previous post - when routing on a table, don't think of the inside or outside edge. Feed it in the same direction you would feed a straight piece, with the bit to the right of the work piece, feeding from left to right.

See if this picture helps - the arrow designates the feed direction OF THE WORKPIECE

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@MEBCWD

yes!! that'll work

thank you

Can I ask where you located it??

again thks

smitty

·
Registered
Mike
3,786 Posts
@MEBCWD

yes!! that'll work

thank you

Can I ask where you located it??

again thks

smitty
I looked for something online but did not find what I was looking for so I actually drew it in Aspire, my CNC software.

Reactions: Stick486

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I looked for something online but did not find what I was looking for so I actually drew it in Aspire, my CNC software.
thanks...
and KUDOS...

Reactions: MEBCWD

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,001 Posts
Save the pictures published in link below. Add big arrows yourself by editing with PAINT software.
https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/understanding-router-feed-direction
Regarding this quote from the link that you provided,do you agree with it?

"Feed Direction For Router Tables
Working on a router table means flipping the router upside down- and this reverses the bit’s spin direction. So, feed direction reverses also. On a router table, bits spin counterclockwise. For routing the outside edges of a work- piece then, you’ll feed the wood from the left side of the table to the right side. Doing this forces the bit to push the wood back against you. When the router fence is attached, the router bit will also press the wood against the fence. You want to maintain this resistance against the bit to keep the cut under control. The resistance you feel from the bit also helps you determine the right amount of force to apply and how fast you can move the wood past the bit to create a clean cut."

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,001 Posts
smitty: see my previous post - when routing on a table, don't think of the inside or outside edge. Feed it in the same direction you would feed a straight piece, with the bit to the right of the work piece, feeding from left to right.

See if this picture helps - the arrow designates the feed direction OF THE WORKPIECE
Isn't the bit shown going in the wrong direction when the router is below the table?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Isn't the bit shown going in the wrong direction when the router is below the table?
You are correct - when I posted that picture, I didn't notice that the bit is in fact turning in the wrong direction. But, the feed direction of the workpiece is correct for table mounted operation.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: MEBCWD
1 - 16 of 16 Posts