Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A widow friend of my brother wants to sell off her late husbands woodworking equipment. Most of it is too big and/or heavy to sell anywhere but locally. This is one of the items I can’t put a price to so I’m looking for input.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
It looks nice and I wouldn't mind having it but I have no clue for a price.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is in pristine condition but like you say Doug, the trick is locating the future owner.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
That is a beauty. $100 OBO. Or a gift to a tool museum or maybe put on consignment in one of those places where they recreate historic living. If it's old enough, it might be an antique, which would up the price. Perhaps contact the TV show American Pickers and ask for help placing it. Needs a little history, so wife should write up what she remembers about its origin. Did the husband buy if from someone who owned it before, is there any story about it she could write down, or picture of her husband using it?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a beauty. $100 OBO. Or a gift to a tool museum or maybe put on consignment in one of those places where they recreate historic living. If it's old enough, it might be an antique, which would up the price. Perhaps contact the TV show American Pickers and ask for help placing it. Needs a little history, so wife should write up what she remembers about its origin. Did the husband buy if from someone who owned it before, is there any story about it she could write down, or picture of her husband using it?
The late husband’s grandfather started woodworking and his dad continued it. I believe were naval officers and I think fairly high ranking. The late husband was a firefighter who worked with my brother. I can’t remember if he served in the Navy. Father and grandfather built some nice pieces which are now antiques. The son/ grandson didn’t inherit their level of talent.

I don’t know if father or grandfather bought it but it would be at least 60 years old and likely older. Those saws haven’t been popular for a long time. However, I read in a book by Tage Frid that that’s all he used for cutting dovetails and he used it when teaching and that by the end of his courses that many of the students had adopted it.

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Looks nice. Possibly made by the father or grandfather. A lot of people made their own, some still do. All in all a handy tool.

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did see one like it on eBay Chuck listed for $70 that was a little beat up looking. This one was either well taken care of or barely used. You are correct that it really isn’t a bow saw. That’s a different critter. I can’t remember what Tage Frid called his. The more traditional style of this saw had one longer side that extended below the blade 4 to 6 inches and that was used as the handle. I’m also not sure if buck saw would include using it with a fine tooth blade. You’d need a much coarser tooth for cutting firewood with them. It may have been one of those tools that was loosely covered by a variety of names.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts