Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don’t have that specific saw but I do have an RBI Hawk 22” scrollsaw I bought about 30 years ago. It works great and I love it. The RBI scrollsaw has gotten very expensive. I paid about $500 new. I know other members on this forum recommend the DEWALT Scroll-saw. It’s price is about the same new as the used RBI.

·
Registered
18,988 Posts
If I were getting one in that price range, it would likely be the DeWalt. I am not very mechanically inclined and used tools sometimes take a lot of tweaking. That's my view. When I looked up reviews, I ran across this from the Wood website. I think it says it all:

Reader Reviews
Simply one of the best there is in the scroll saw world.
Reviewed by: danupsman
Review Summary
I've owned one of these for a few years and they are simply the best saw on the market and are very durable. They are made to last a lifetime. They are expertly crafted and cut like butter.You can make really wide cuts with these due to the very deep throats they have. But to be honest they are pretty pricey and are mainly used by people in the craft business who use them every day , all day long.

It's a real toss up. If it's working well, doesn't vibrate much and you can drive and check it out and transport it back home yourself, I think the Hawk would be a good buy. Shipping a bare tool without all the necessary packaging could result in damage. Stuff gets slammed around in shipping. Time for a road trip?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I've never used one but it does look well made. I like the looks of the blower pump. One advantage of the DeWalt is that only the end portion of the arms pivot - reducing vibration. I first saw that on an Excalibur, which I believe is a highly rated saw.

·
Registered
18,988 Posts
Sure sounds like a good deal. Did you mean Saturday the 6th? Worth driving in the evening to me. Someone else might snap it up if you have to wait 9 days. In California, especially out here in the desert, a 90 minute drive is nothing. We just get in the car and go.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Some people love RBI saws, and some, like me, don't care for them. To me, they look like a home shop made prototype and not the finished production model. I also don't like the rear blade tension adjustment, and the long distance of the arms between their rear bearing points and the blade. With this distance, any wear in these pivot bearings at all results in unstable blade position side to side. These are all my personal opinions. I have used several RBI saws, now made by Bushton, that friends have, and have developed my opinions from this experience.

I mostly use my DeWalt Type 1 that I have kind of super tuned to get the accuracy that I need to make the tiny reindeer and jewelry that I like to make. I have now gone through my DeWalt two times, replacing bearings and adjusting it to keep it in top running condition. I'll likely keep doing this every few years until something breaks on it that I can't fix. One of the new Seyco, Jet, Excalibur saws would be an upgrade for me, but until I'm forced to upgrade because of the death of my DeWalt I will likely not spend the money for one. Even then, I will likely try to find a used one, or another DeWalt and tune it up.

Scroll sawing isn't something that everyone enjoys, and many buy these saws with no prior experience using one. It gets an hour or two of use and then collects dust for several years before going on Craigslist or to the pawn shop. One of these better brand saws used, picked up from one of these sources, is where I would look if my DeWalt became un-repairable. There is a Delta saw that's similar to the DeWalt saw that I have. I have not included it in my list above because I'm not at all pleased with the new Delta woodworking tool company. The name goes on, but not the quality or service that once existed for Delta Tools.

Charley

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Scroll sawing isn't something that everyone enjoys, and many buy these saws with no prior experience using one.
Damn computer just wiped out all I had written. My first was an el cheapo model, even new, with a stamped steel table. Got rid of it real fast. Got a new Craftsman, on sale and marked WAY down, aluminum tavle, variable speed. Still got it, still use it. I only use it for rough cutting out my designs, as close to the line as I can reasonably get, then sand to the line. Just use the coarsest blades I can find, for fast cutting. Got it around 1997/8. May not be accurate enought for most/all of you, but for me it works just fine, don't need a saw more accurate, especially don't need more expensive. For me, the price is dependent on what you want the saw for, delicate, fancy, work, you need a more pricey saw. For me, just cutting out designs, as long as it runs, basically it is good enough.

Reactions: kp91

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the RBI 220VS which is the saw you are looking to buy. It is good and the price is fair. I too do not like the blade tensioning lever at the back it just seems a little hokey to leave the cam lever at different angles to get the desired tension.
Arthritis in my hands has diminished my strength so when inserting blades I have two different size Alan wrenches to do the job. Now, instead of having a hard time fastening the blade strongly enough I have to be careful not to over tighten. The manual for the saw is available on line.
I bought mine used and the table has been a little chewed up by the blade and replacement tables are no longer available. I like Flying Dutchman blades.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John you are incorrect about 226vs tension release is on the front to change the blade . The adjustment is in the back but to change the blade there is a release in the front. My problem no time to go down and check the saw out. My wife is doing chemo. She has another 6 weeks. My wife works for a nursing home and they short staffed and I volunteer their. The tension release on the front I 'am interested. May be this Saturday.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally made my 3 hr craigs list trip for my saw. Scroll saw I think a good buy at $300. I'll post a picture it is a rugged and powerful saw. It looks like new. The legs on the saw very tall . Which is something I don't like abut the saw. I got a bunch of patterns for clock builds and other things. New forums to read joined scroll saw village .

Seems to have nice group people reminds me of this forum. Looks like top is aluminum going to need a lot of rubbing compound , and wax.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts