Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
Cool Stick. I knew it wasn't a hammer, but didn't know what it was. Now I do.

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
Chris, I had no idea of what that was, but THANK YOU for sharing it. To me and many others that type of "Show and Tell" is super interesting. My Great Grand Father was a very skilled woodworker and I have seen lots of things he built from homes to furniture and even windows. When my Dad died in Jan 2012, my brother had no interest in my Dad's "Old Tool Collection", so it all went to me. Often I look at those (somewhat crude) tools and think how much skill the old man (GGF) must have had! It really gives us an appreciation for what is available nowadays!
My grandfather was what they now term a 'master carpenter', correctly it would be a journyman carpenter, but times change; he was a man with amazing woodworking talent. I helped him with various projects when I was somewhere between about 7 and 10, I'm 72 now, do the math. He had a large table saw, and that was about it as far as power tools went. Later he promised me a huge homebuilt tool chest, with the lid full of various types of saws, the box had at least a dozen of wooden hand planes, of various contours, and so on, it was packed. When he died, I was in Germany at the time I believe. When I got back and asked about the chest, I was told it was all sold. The wooden planes went for $1 each, apparently some guy bought the whole chest for about $100. I felt like crying. The chest and contents at that time was probably worth at least several hundreds more, and no telling how much now. I wasn't interested in selling any of it, I wanted to keep them all. You're a very fortunate man.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.