Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get the bit out of my Bosch drill and it's only 13 months. I have pecked on it with a dead blow hammer but not to hard. I have also sprayed it with Kano penetrating oil. If you can be of some help I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
If you can back off the chuck even just slightly, try hitting the fingers of the chuck toward the motor. Then try backing off the chuck handle a bit more. This may take several cycles, but it should work. Then you might consider getting it serviced if it happens again. Chucks sometimes have similar problems as router collets. When you bottom out the bit and then tighten it pulls the bit tighter against the bottom of the chuck, causing all kinds of difficulty when trying to get it loose again. Next time, don't bottom out the drill bit when you tighten the chuck..

Charley

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
what style of chuck do have on what motor...

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I for got to post a picture.

·
Premium Member
17,430 Posts
Not very scientific, but when my dewalt seizes up from lack of lubrication (it gets wet from rain as it used outdoors mostly) ,
I just take my crescent wrench and bang the side of the chuck till it gives in.

Disclaimer: I'm referring to the drill I use at work , as my personal ones have never seized

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I think the chuck is fighting the bit...try pulling the bit out a teeny weeny amount...vise and punch/hammer...

You can also try slipping a right size deep socket over the bit and against the chuck, then whack slightly to "suck" the bit out...every action has an equal reaction...

·
Premium Member
17,430 Posts
I think the chuck is fighting the bit...try pulling the bit out a teeny weeny amount...vise and punch/hammer...

You can also try slipping a right size deep socket over the bit and against the chuck, then whack slightly to "suck" the bit out...every action has an equal reaction...
I feel his pain Nick . I get so ticked off when it jams like that . I can turn the chuck backwards at high speed, all the while grabbing the chuck as hard as I can with a gloved hand , to no avail.
Seems like a well deserved slap on the side of the chuck is the only way I've got it to let off its death grip.
Not sure how true the chuck is after that though :|

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
the bit is set too deep in the chuck...
you have to move the bit forwards even fuzz..

Reactions: Ray Newman

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Neither router bits or drill bits should ever be bottomed out and for the same reasons.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I for got to post a picture.

This bit has a hex shank and you can change the tip to what ever you need. I believe it's made where you can't set it to deep.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you can back off the chuck even just slightly, try hitting the fingers of the chuck toward the motor. Then try backing off the chuck handle a bit more. This may take several cycles, but it should work. Then you might consider getting it serviced if it happens again. Chucks sometimes have similar problems as router collets. When you bottom out the bit and then tighten it pulls the bit tighter against the bottom of the chuck, causing all kinds of difficulty when trying to get it loose again. Next time, don't bottom out the drill bit when you tighten the chuck..

Charley
Charley I have spent the last hour or so trying to get it out. I cut the part of the bit out that was in the way of me getting to the fingers and have tried to peck on the fingers to loosen them but I am having no luck. Measured a like bit and it will not go deep enough to bottom out. I am basing that on other drills chuck depth. Now I am wandering if it would be possible to drill the bit out? If I can't do that the drill is junk.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys I finally got it out.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Don - glad you got it resolved. For future reference, or to help out anyone else with the same issue, perhaps you can let us know what finally worked for you.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don - glad you got it resolved. For future reference, or to help out anyone else with the same issue, perhaps you can let us know what finally worked for you.
Vince destroying the bit so I could get to the fingers in the chuck I kept hitting all three fingers with a small screw driver. I also put more Kano Kriol penetrating oil on it. The last time I hit the fingers it came loose. This was a close call. I sure would hate to trash that drill. From now on I will pay more attention to how deep I insert a bit. Someone said this could be the reason it locked up. I am 74 years old and this is the first time this has happened.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just spit-balling here, but I find that accidentally dropping a power tool off an 8' stepladder will absolutely loosen everything up... ;)
Dan are you speaking from experience or hear say. :smile:

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Lips sealed or not I think we are all on the same page Dan.

Don if it happens again I would put a new chuck on that drill. There might be something wrong with it. They do break and they can wear out. Son-in-law brought me two home from his work with broken chucks. One an old metal bodied, single speed, no reverse B&D and the other a 1/2" Milwaukee VSR. Found some new chucks on ebay for less than $30 for both I think. The old B&D is like a Clydesdale.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts