Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey you member that have the Incra LS set up, have you ever tried to adjust the clicking mechanism on the micro adjust. Both of mine, the one on the TS and the one for the router have gotten to be less that definite in regard to solid, audible and well defined like they were when new.

Sometime ago I talked to Mark about and he told me on the phone that the parts that needed adjusted are at the end of the carriage where the fence is attached. He said that I needed to remove the fence to get to what needed to be worked on, but I don't recall what he told me. The truth of the matter is that I was a bit fearful of of getting into something that I might mess up and besides that, it was not all that important at the time as everything was still working as it should other than the adjustment just that the "clicks" on the MA were not positive.

I have written to Mark for "written" instructions, maybe those instructions are in the Owner's Manual, I should look if I can find the manual, it's been so long since I got the system and apparently hve misplaced it.

Just wondered if anybody else has dealt with what I talking about and if so, was the adjustment very difficult and what did you do?

Jarry

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Hey Jerry--here's a link to the manual page on the Incra site. INCRA TOOLS :: INCRA Product Manuals It's listed under Table Saw Fences. I'm pretty sure it's also in the Reference section here on the forum too. Unless Mark was talking about just removing the positioner from the carriage and using a toothbrush to clean that area and the lead screw, i don't think you'll find much in the manual.

earl

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like nobody has run into the same problem with their Incra LS system that I have, anyway, here is what Mark wrote back to me on the matter.

> you
> want to change the pressure behind the ball that does the clicking, remove
> the fence and you'll see a hole in the fence mounting bracket about an
> inch
> from the lead screw's centerline. Put an Allen wrench into the hole (1/8"
> or 5/32", I think) and tighten the embedded set screw to increase pressure
> or loosen the screw to reduce the pressure. You can eliminate the
> clicking
> by just removing the set screw, spring, and steel ball.
>
> If you're getting some binding or grittiness in the knob's rotation, it's
> a
> simple matter of lubrication without any disassembly -
>
> 1. On the vertical side of the knob that faces toward the fence (the side
> that's opposite the black 0.001" scale), you'll see a line of round
> dimples
> machined all around the knob. Give a short squirt of WD-40 or some other
> penetrating oil directly down the side of the knob where it passes through
> the gold sliding carriage (this where the steel ball is located inside the
> carriage).
>
> 2. The penetrating oil will free the mechanism almost instantly. Turn
> the
> knob a few times and wipe off the row of dimples on the left side of the
> knob.
>
> 3. With the area clean, put a drop of heavier oil on your fingertip
> (regular motor oil is great) and wipe it along the row of dimples. Spin
> the
> knob a few times and wipe off the excess. Depending on the amount of use
> it
> gets, applying the heavier oil a few times a year is good maintenance.
>
>
> Let me know if that's what you're after...
>
>
> -Mark

·
Registered
655 Posts
have the Incra on both the table saw and router table and haven't noticed this issue, is it possible you got some dust or crud in the hole and the ball is sticking.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Jerry...might a dry lubricant be a better fit considering the dusty environment...? Something like Tri-Flow...?

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I saw this post and the reference to lube I wondered if a regular coat of Johnson's paste wax might work. I wax my top and rails already so it might work.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
have the Incra on both the table saw and router table and haven't noticed this issue, is it possible you got some dust or crud in the hole and the ball is sticking.
listen to Nick....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts